New UK Sl4e-Led; first impressions from my living room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I just received my new UK SL4e-Led dive light and was quite eager to give you my first impressions! Firstly, I was quite torn between the regular SL4 and the e-Led model, the e-Led being twice the price and the regular sl4 being "technically" brighter (gives out more lumens). But I finally decided to go for the e-Led for battery and lamp duration, and particularly light color (the e-Led was supposed to be much more white).

And boy am I glad I did!!!! :D :D :D

I've only done a living room test so far (when I dive it I'll let you know), but wow what a light! 8) Just a quick reminder, it runs on 4 C batteries (which to my amazement were included) and produces around 33-38 lumens, has an estimated burn time at full power of 10 hours, and fits nicely in 1 hand. I did a comparison with my girlfriends UK C4 and much much prefered the SL4! I even think I would prefer night diving with the SL4 than the regular C4! Here is what I prefered...

First, color... The "hotter" light from the SL4 e-Led really brought out colors much better than the regular lamp. And I suspect this will be even more evident underwater with light exctinction. It was night and day! :lol: (sorry couldn't help it!!! :lol: :lol: ) The regular C4 is more yellowish (like a regular flashlight). Also, this "hottness" of the light gives the impression it is much brighter (even though it is not). I don't know if it has to do with the wavelengths that your eyes see better, or something else, but you really get the impression it's brighter!

Second, light radius... The Sl4 e-Led gives off quite a large radius for such a small lamp! It was almost as big as that of the C4 (if I had to guess, maybe 10% smaller at most). The center of the burn spot is very concentrated and at about 12 feet distance, gave off a circle of approx 12 inches in diameter. The secondary circle (or halo; sorry don't know the technical terms :wink: ), is much softer, but still much brighter than the C4, and I would say maybe 5 feet in diameter.

Third, size... It's small! Fits nicely in the hand, won't take much space strapped to my BCD, and is light. Much more convenient than the C4, which is 2-3x the size!

So that's pretty much it for now! I am 110% happy that I went for the e-Led. I can't even imagine what the C8 e-Led would be like!!! :shock: :shock: I would strongly encourage anybody hesitating between regular lamp and Led technology to go for the Led. You probably won't regret it!

I'll let you know how I find it underwater...

Later!

Yeah, I just got one for the hurricane. Beam looks fantastic. I tried the bulb assembly in a Scout-type light and it was only slightly dimmer. Should be a great upgrade when they start selling them. The polarity is reversed, but that's easy to adapt light to if necessary.

I have an e-led as well and aside from my can/primary/trying to look cool light, I love it.

It is also excellent to (umm) look @ the deer in my orchard after dark.

Do you know how it compars to the UK LED Q40, which has the Luxeon (?) bulb.

mkaug:
Do you know how it compars to the UK LED Q40, which has the Luxeon (?) bulb.
The two aren't really comparable, as the Q40 is really only intended as a small backup light. The SL4's are suitable as primaries, at least, under the right conditions.

I have a Q40 (LED) and love it, but it's not aimed at the same use as the SL4s are.

Yeah, sorry but I haven't had the chance to compare it to a Q4 eLED...

Are there conversion kits for those of us who have the standard version and would like to switch to LED? If so who sells them?

tboxcar, I believe there are LED conversion kits for many UK lights. Just check at you local shop.

tboxcar:
Are there conversion kits for those of us who have the standard version and would like to switch to LED? If so who sells them?

Yes, but they seem to be holding them back from retailers for a while (for obvious reasons.) It's not a kit, but a simple replacement bulb assembly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom