new toys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane

Contributor
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I just got some new toys in the mail yesterday. For those of you that saw my previous photo, it's been updated a bit...
gearnew.jpg

Several months ago she ordered two Photon-Torpedo LEDs from here. Chuck was backordered a bit so he was nice enough to give the backordered folks free shipping. :D I'll also note that each came with 3 Energizer C-cells, so they were literally ready to go the instant we opened the box.
She bought one for herself and the other for my birthday/Christmas/New Year's/<insert all holidays here> present. She says she's going to wrap it for my birthday....and for Christmas. :wink:

The beams themselves are very bright and focused. The action of turning on the light is quite smooth. The small ridges around each light are just rough enough to make them easy to grip but they're not too rough as to be painful. Almost feels like a fingernail file...

I took a few pics to post here for people to see.
The Photon-Torpedos are double o-ring sealed. Also note that the piece of metal which connects the positive ends of the batteries to the LED is held in place by the wall. I really like this feature. On the Scout, it's free to move around as you screw the lighthead on, and as you turn the light on and off.
PTLEDorings.jpg

In this picture you can see the relative differences in the wall thickness between my Scout and the PT. Scout is on the left, PT on the right.
comparison1.jpg

Another shot of the two lights. Again, Scout on the left and PTLED on the right.
comparison2.jpg

Hmm I tried to show these pictures from my own personal webspace, but they didn't want to show up; only the links are showing. What gives?

Lucky dog. :)

I want a pair, too!

I suspect you clicked the link icon instead of the image icon?

Well...I have a good deal of vBcode memorized, so I usually manually type out the tags. For whatever reason, my IMG tags are disabled and I don't know how to re-enable them. Any idea?

Congratulation on your new toys..I love it too

I also got one of the PT LEDs recently.. very, very nice light!

WOW, these look great! are they significantly brighter than the scouts? I've been looking around for one recently, but I can't get over the fact that the scout seems to be dimmer (to me) than my Mini Q40 eLed+. But I need one that's DIR compliant and hopefully cheaper and better than the scout before I jump into commiting the last bit of dough I have remaining........

They are defintely brighter than the regular scouts. They are probably relatively close in brightness to the LED Scouts, but cost like 50 bucks less. If you get one you won't be disappointed.

These are wonderful lights, and I can testify from personal experience that, should you be so unfortunate as to flood one, you can replace the batteries and the light will still work, which is a VERY nice quality in a dive light :)

The PTLED is very bright. If you search around you should be able to find some comparison shots between it and other backup lights. Most don't have as concentrated a beam, so they're not great for signaling.
I'm probably going to buy another one of these at some point, especially if Chuck comes out with a 'mini' version that uses 2 C-cells instead of 3. This way it would fit slightly better on the right side of my harness and wouldn't bump into a can light.

Another thing I like about the PT lights. The handle is very grippy. In fact it's grippy enough that it resists coming out of the inner tubing on my harness. Sounds like a bad thing but it's actually good--I know that if I manage to somehow undo the bolt snap by accident I'm not going to lose my light.

Back
Top Bottom