New toy ;-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just picked up four of them yesterday. I saw them at DEMA and was quite impressed. They have 5 MP cameras built in and are decent masks. Very low profile. There are videos shot by users of these masks available on You Tube. Because they're almost hands free, they're becoming a huge hit with free divers, spearfishermen and underwater hunters. I can't wait to use mine while riding my Torpedos.

I like the feel of them. Well built, nice strap system (although I don't know why you'd need a quick release on your mask unless you planned on changing the strap between dives or something?), easy to operate, very low volume and mostly low profile (except for the camera part). By the looks of it, a free diver coming up fast could have leaking problems from the top of the mask if they looked down momentarily on the ascent. I can see where you could get enough drag here to pop open the top edge of the skirt pretty easily. I like my mask loose to begin with. This might need to be on a little tighter to keep the top in place. We'll see. I'll be testing one on my next couple of dives for sure. I think the pics will be OK, you will have to work with natural lighting since there's no flash. Shutter lag will be something you'll have to consider, especially since it's on your head. In low light the shutter is slow so remain still through the 'shutter' sound to prevent blurry shots.

The part that I'm excited about is the video feature. With a 2GB micro SD card, you can get a lot of video. Using it wisely and shooting so as not to have to edit later will make this quite a nice item to take on any water excursion. A dive or two of practice should be all it takes.

I can see this camera evolving into a better version in the near future. Mine are only rated 15' and they don't pick up any sound. Still, for the mean time, I am stoked to have them to show to my diving friends. I plan on letting folks try them out when we dive together.

Anyone else try them yet?

Will the SCUBA model have sound? Seems like a nice idea but the depth rating for on the Explorer is a no go.

:cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom