New to vintage diving, would like some suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is an option, have one rebuilt and do the other yourself. At least you have a baseline for how the reg should preform.
Or...PM me and we could talk about trading one of them for a DA.
Then you could compare single and two stage double hose reg performance. :D

Well heck Larry, he could PM ME about trading one for a ready to dive DA AND service on his other reg. :)

I am not sure I get all this interest on the DW Stream Air.

For Stream Air to perform well it should be upgraded with the new Mistral venturi nozzle (if it wasn't already upgraded in the past); and once it is upgraded it is just a Mistral with a different label. Is it the label that is so desirable?
I can see the attraction for a collector, but I just like to dive this stuff. :)

Mistrals are fairly common regulators and they are great regulators, but they are not hard to find.

In any case, the deal of trading a DA Aqua Master could be a good deal for both, but it may not be exactly an even swap, depending on the condition of both, etc. Which one is more valuable is also debatable.

The DA is very common regulators that can be obtained in a large price range depending on the condition. In my opinion it is a better regulator, but that is totally subjective and they both have their advantage. Every double hose diver should own at least one of each.

Added:
Also the guy is trying to do a good thing by helping someone to quit smoking…some consideration should be given to that. Granted, bribing someone into quitting smoking is probably the least effective way of accomplishing this goal, but any attempt is worthwhile (threatening with violence is probably much more effective :rolleyes: ).

It is just the label, otherwise how could a DA masquerading as a Voit Navy pull close to 1,000 dollars regularly on ebay. For collectors the label is everything, for divers, just give me a DA. I just like running the price up to make the collectors sweat and then dropping out.

Me, myself and Irene, you, yourself and Larry?

Thanks again for all the replies guys, i think i'm gonna go with what Herman suggested and Get one rebuilt right, then see how it is supposed to look and fix up the other one myself.

Ok, so I have a few more questions that might sound silly but i didn't knwo where else to ask.

What is this Mistral Nozzle i've read about? What do you do if you want to attach an SPG? Also,I've heard that the regulator is basically a high pressure seat with a diaphragm, lever attachment. If so, then how does the reg reduce pressure to ambient without letting out a huge blast of air? I thought you needed a 1st and 2nd stage to reduce the pressure enough so it was breathable?

Again, sorry if thee questions seem like "duh", but i'm still pretty new to the whole vintage thing.

Q:What is this Mistral Nozzle i've read about?

A:The main difference between a DW Airstream and the Mistral was the Mistral's nozzle. It was designed so that there would be a Venturi effect within the can and hose which reduced the work of breathing. The nozzle will screw into the DW body you have and many DW's were upgraded at the time. You just may have them already. But if you don't reproduction nozzles are here:

Venturi Nozzle [Venturi Nozzle] - $10.00 : Vintage Double Hose!, Your online source for all things related to vintage diving

Q:What do you do if you want to attach an SPG?

A:You use what is called a Banjo which fits between the tank valve and the regulator. They come up every now and then on Ebay. Or, you can get one from VDH

USD Chrome Banjo Fitting [Chrome Banjo] - $35.00 : Vintage Double Hose!, Your online source for all things related to vintage diving

But to use one, you need what is called the "Long Yoke," originals for a single stage reg can be hard to find, but you can get a repro here:

Single Stage Long Yoke [Single Stage Yoke] - $40.00 : Vintage Double Hose!, Your online source for all things related to vintage diving

The hose to the SPG just bolts onto the banjo.

Q: Also,I've heard that the regulator is basically a high pressure seat with a diaphragm, lever attachment. If so, then how does the reg reduce pressure to ambient without letting out a huge blast of air? I thought you needed a 1st and 2nd stage to reduce the pressure enough so it was breathable?

A: It works but you are dealing with high pressure. Never, never use your mouth on the can horn of any double hose regulator to give it a try. Especially single stage regs as you will get a very high pressure stream into your lungs and run a high risk of embolism.

With a double hose reg by the time the air has moved through the hose the pressure and air flow has been reduced so that you no longer run this risk. But to play safe, put the mouth piece with the non-return valve on the hose to try it all out.

Gilldiver already answer your questions.

The single stage regulator does drop any tank pressure in one step. It only has one demand valve that only opens the amount needed to allow enough flow as demanded by the suction applied to the diaphragm. It just can't get any easier.

It is amazing how well it works for such a simple device.

BTW, (as I have mentioned on other posts) the single stage regulator is often assumed that was the first regulator, but that it not the case. The single stage regulator was design by Gagnon almost ten years after the first two stage regulator was used by Cousteau.

In the 40's they were all two stage (the CG45, etc.). It wasn't until the 50's that the single stage came out and they were the first ones to introduce the very powerful venturi air flow assistance to reduce the WOB.

The venturi flow basically assists in sustaining some vacuum on the diaphragm, after the initial suction is produced by the diver.

The CG45 was the name of the first commercial regulator introduced by Air Liquid and Cousteau-Gagnon, in 1945.

It's not a Airstream. That's a fine travel trailer. Not a regulator. It's a Streamair. That's a fine regulator and not a travel trailer. LOL

Jim

Back
Top Bottom