New to UW Photography - Need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I I know Nemrod is intrigued by this camera too, but I don't know if he actually has one.

Disclaimer: I use a G10

Yes, I did get one with the amazing FIX housing, however, due to a work event I was unable to go on my scheduled Feb trip to try it out, so now I have to wait until my next in Late March, no big deal. The good thing is that all of my lenses, Inon strobes and other equipment I was able to utilize with this new system, even the Ikelite tray though I have since made a miniature folding tray perhaps more fitting to the camera.

The best thing about the S90 in addition to the faster lens, smaller size is the dual control rings, a feature many modern trained photographers don't seem to appreciate who are used to buttons and menus to access the shutter and f stop. Unfortunately, the Canon DC-35 housing and the Ikelite housing only have the control for the front ring using the shift button like the G11 to control that function :(, the FIX90 housing has both :).

Anyways, all is good. I actually bought a Canon T1i dSLR, I bought a Tokina 10-17 lens, I was about to order the S&S RDX housing and you know, I simply did not like the camera. I could not access shutter and f stop without pushing a button. Then I would get it into a mode which I could not get it out of without turning the camera off, too complicated and clunky. I took it back like a used toaster oven and came home with the delightful S90 with no regrets, the little thing is simply amazing.

When Oly further refines their M4:3 and Nikon and Canon release their EVILs to do battle, by gen two I will be knocking on their door, for now, this S90 will do me dandy. The new Oly ELP-1 is a fine looking device and the new housing is interesting but it is just not quite their yet, for me, others may find it perfect. Really, in addition to it being back to buttons, I am waiting to see what my old friend Nikon has up and Canon as well. I need a new travel camera even if I don't take it under water now that I have sold off the last of my Nikon fleet, glass and my only remaining Leica. I feel so liberated now :rofl3:. And I owe it all to dhass. I have even put my Sekonic Marine meter away in the sock drawer :blinking:

Meanwhile, what to do with two really nice 570 rigs, hmmmm, just do not know, shall I keep them, she loves me, she loves me not--she loves me, she ---- may kill me :confused:

N

When Oly further refines their M4:3 and Nikon and Canon release their EVILs to do battle, by gen two I will be knocking on their door, for now, this S90 will do me dandy.

What do you mean by this. I gather you think Nikon and Canon will release something akin to u4/3? I figure that's true too, but I have no solid info. Do you?

I think that's a logical step for the casual photographer too. Less bulky that dSLR, more capable than P&S, especially in natural light.

Enjoy your S90.

What do you mean by this. I gather you think Nikon and Canon will release something akin to u4/3? I figure that's true too, but I have no solid info. Do you?

I think that's a logical step for the casual photographer too. Less bulky that dSLR, more capable than P&S, especially in natural light.

Enjoy your S90.

Just what I see on the forums and my camera shop friend. The PMA is coming soon, maybe then. Yes, there are rumor forums for Nikon and Canon etc and they are all over them about the Nikon EVIL:

Will Dr. EVIL knock on Nikon's door? (Nikon EVIL camera recap) | Nikon Rumors . Nikon has been filing patents and that often portends something coming unless they are just trying to protect intellectual property for a rainy day. Nikon will be very conservative and not release a camera until the EVF is in the ball park on par with an optical system and shutter/focus response is on par with a dSLR, my bet.

Sorry OP, we off subject but you might be interested as well.

Also:

http://www.backscatter.com/underwater/photo/package deals.lasso

And www.opticaloceansales is taking orders for the Oly ELP-1 outfits or keeping a list or something like that.

N

Well, the issue is closed for me at this point. I did get a G9 with a canon UW housing. I think it will serve my needs very well. Now I need to find the right strobe to go with it. Rumor has it the Canon housing is made by Sea and Sea and it's rated to 40M which is a) the recreational limit and b) beyond my certification, capabilities, and interests at this time.

A good friend of mine has a G7 so I have a good source of support with the camera and that is an important aspect to mastering it.

Well, the issue is closed for me at this point. I did get a G9 with a canon UW housing. I think it will serve my needs very well. Now I need to find the right strobe to go with it. Rumor has it the Canon housing is made by Sea and Sea and it's rated to 40M which is a) the recreational limit and b) beyond my certification, capabilities, and interests at this time.

A good friend of mine has a G7 so I have a good source of support with the camera and that is an important aspect to mastering it.

Congrats. I'm sure you'll be very happy. If you decide to shoot RAW (good decision IMO), you may want to pick up a copy of Lightroom. They have a beta of version 3 out now that is usable until April, I think. Highly recommended.

Strobe info:

Underwater Strobe Comparison Guide - Digital Diver Network

INON Products Catalog Download

http://www.inon.jp/_userdata/DL_PDF/inonstrobe2009_en.pdf

Good luck.

N

Congrats. I'm sure you'll be very happy. If you decide to shoot RAW (good decision IMO), you may want to pick up a copy of Lightroom. They have a beta of version 3 out now that is usable until April, I think. Highly recommended.

How does lightroom vary from Photoshop CS3? Is lightroom just a specialty application of photoshop? i.e. a sub-app? or is a distinct application?

Well, I'm not really all that familiar with Photoshop, but Lightroom is much more limited. It's basically photo management and adjustment for photographers rather than a program for graphic designers. A lot of serious photographers end up with both.

The best part is you can download trial versions of both and try them. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom