New to the forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll give you a shout if I'm ever in the need.
The entry went smoothly. If you've ever been to the Breakwater you know you can either have a long shuffle to the water line or a real short one. Monastery is a fairly steep sandy drop to the water line. Take two steps out and you're in 10 ft of water minimum. xD
Can't really say it was too tricky, of course the waves were incredibly nice that day.

That's one quick drop off! What was your max depth that day?

well, it is more like 10 steps :) 12.78 to be exact. it drops to about 7ft. getting in is easy as long as you dont inflate, large wave (over your mid section) just jump in., getting out may be tricky. Deflate, if you crawl do not stop till on dry sand, if you walk., let small wave drop your feet on a ground and then move briskly , turning side ways if wave hits. in no event hesitate and change method of getting out in a mids of a wave set, or stop on a wet sand. and keep your reg in your mouth.

Sounds like you're getting a technique down, Andrew!

Kristina believe me i thought of you on every entry/exit

LOL, I'm thinking, you would be a good one for me to hitch a ride into the water with. I'll just stand directly behind you, step with you every step of the way till we're safe. I really don't like that berm though, sucks to feel like you're totally out of shape trying to get out of the water.

well, it is more like 10 steps :) 12.78 to be exact. it drops to about 7ft. getting in is easy as long as you dont inflate, large wave (over your mid section) just jump in., getting out may be tricky. Deflate, if you crawl do not stop till on dry sand, if you walk., let small wave drop your feet on a ground and then move briskly , turning side ways if wave hits. in no event hesitate and change method of getting out in a mids of a wave set, or stop on a wet sand. and keep your reg in your mouth.

Guess I may have overexerted on the minimum drop off depth.
Come to think of it I remember seeing 8' on my dive computer before my fins broke the surface. I was a little buoyant at the end of my dive and came up fins first ~10' from the beach master =-=*
(that I'm not exaggerating about)
I'm my defense I was trying to swim low and crawl out onto the shore without breaking the surface till the last second.
I do remember it didn't take me 10 steps going in, the tide was pretty low that day. You could see the drop from the water line.

My max depth that day was 47' on the North side, although I could have gone further. We were told not the break 50' that day (I dove w/ the UCSC class; we were doing 2 dives that day with about 18 other divers).
On South side I reached 43' max but for the most part my buddy and I were cruising over rocks and through kelp, hitting depths between 20'-30'.
I do remember my instructor left the north side kelp and sat at the canyon drop off which I believe goes past 100'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom