New to the Board - Dallas, TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingLonghorn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi y'all,
Just wanted to drop a line and introduce myself. I currenlty live in Waxahachie, TX, but work in Dallas. I was certified NAUI OW in ’94 (my wife as well) in Austin, TX (Lake Travis). My first dives were in Travis and the SCUBA bug bit me hard. Unfortunately or fortunately my next dive was in Cozumel (our honeymoon). Well, needless to say I was for a lost of words with diving in Cozumel – it beat Travis hands down. The reason I mentioned earlier about it being “Unfortunately” is I never did another freshwater dive since. The problem with this….I don’t have as many dives. I have 50+ dives (Cozumel, Oahu, Nassau – Shark Dive, Key West, Maui, and Cabo). This being said, my last trip to Cozumel (May 2003) I am making a concerted effort to dive more in and around the Texas area. The two areas I want to improve on is buoyancy and air consumption. Once I get these down, I will be looking towards AOW, and possibly Nitrox. Still have a long time of diving ahead of me and feel “baby steps” is the best way to go.

Look forward with future discussions.

Mike

Local diving is pretty fun whith so many of us Swampdivers around. You'll have to get in on one of our group dives sometime, or at the very least, you can get on the board and see who is diving where and when. Clear Springs Scuba Park (CSSP) is pretty close and it's a nice place with pretty good vis (for Texas). During the dive season, you could probably head out there every weekend an find at least one of us Swampdivers there.

Welcome again to the Board!

Thanks Zagnut,
I would like to meet some of y'all...I need a new buddy. My wife is my normal buddy, but we are finally with child:) so much for her being a buddy.

Mike

I feel your pain man, I have a 2 yr old boy so I lost my dive buddy about 3 years back.

Hey zagnut, did you ever get that zag outta your nut. lol.

... to the boards! Hope to see you around.. and congrats on becoming a Daddy!:) Dive safe!:)

Kayla:)

Is anyone planning on diving at CSSP or Athens the next couple of weeks? When y'all go, is it usually during the week in the evenings or on the weekends?

Mike

Welcome to the board.

This weekend I've promised Mrs. Texass I'm all hers - at least Saturday. By Sunday she might want to get rid of me.

You're pretty close to Whitney . The folks who run the place are great.

It's usually OK viz until about July or August. After that it gets pretty green. We used to use key retractors as buddy lines to keep from having to surface all the time in late summer. I was out at the dam last month and there was no viz - one of the instructors hit his mask against the bottom while descending. It wasn't green or cloudy, just kind of tannish.

I think it's about the warmest lake around. I rarely bothered with anything more than my swim trunks. Maybe that has something to do with the viz issues.

The cove is about 45' deep. It gets deeper pretty fast if you head out into the lake. There's a platform at 80' just outside of the cove.

Texass,
Thanks for the input. I was thinking about Athens on Sunday. I am playing in a golf tourney on Saturday, so we'll see how it goes. Hope to see you around.

Welcome to the board. There is always something to talk about here, so jump right in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom