New to the Area, Looking for a Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi!

I'm new to the Midwest diving scene, I recently moved here from New England where I was an active New England Lobsta Divah on the board. I was certified in summer of '08, and got a drysuit last fall to extend my diving season. Most of my diving has been in New England so I am no stranger to cold water and bad vis - I actually prefer it.

I'm hoping to dive France Park, IN on Sunday (10/3) and I was wondering if anyone was going to be there who I could buddy up with, or if anyone would like to join me? No preference on time, dive plan, etc. I usually like to slowly poke around and take pictures. I'd really like to see a paddlefish.

Thanks!

I can't make it today, but I'd be more than happy to meet you at France Park sometime. I dive locally on a regular basis. There are also a number of folks on here from the Kokomo/Logansport area who dive France Park quite a bit. I'm sure they'll chime in on this thread as well.

Another option is Haigh Quarry in Kankakee IL. Lots and lots of regular divers there who make the trip down from Chicago on a regular basis.

Thanks everyone for your advice and warm welcomes!

I decided to chance it and drive way the heck out to France Park today. France Park was recommended to me by someone from my dive shop back home, so I really wanted to get out there and dive it sooner rather than later. I did Haigh Quarry a couple weeks ago, and was looking forward to trying a new site. I forgot that IN is EST and IL is Central, so that made getting up this morning fun. I got to the site around 9 and waited. Lucky for me, two divers showed up and let me tag along. We hit a max depth of 26' with a bottom time of 1:06. Temperature was 68*F and visibility was okay (8-12'). NO PADDLEFISH!!! ARG! Oh well, next time. Did see some large largemouth bass and sunfish.

The two weren't up for a second dive, and just as I finished packing up my car two more divers showed up, so I asked if I could join them and unpacked my gear again. It was clouding up, so vis was worse. STILL NO PADDLEFISH!!! but we had 1:05 bottom time and a max depth of 26' again.

BTW: Did anyone lose an integrated weight pouch there recently?? I found one and have it.

To answer your question CamG, I'm studying fish physiology (specifically cold water marine - yeah, in IL, go figure.) as opposed to conservation, so my department is Biology, though I could see myself going into conservation or fisheries after grad school. I actually won't be able to make it to the meet and greet because I'm leaving the country to do research on some REALLY cold fish (think south, and then think further south). Sadly I won't be diving while I'm there, but maybe next time. Looking forward to some good ice diving around here this winter, though! Maybe I'll see some of you hardy ice divers this winter when I get back.

Too bad you can't make M&G. There will be another M&G in this spring at Gilboa. But it is nice to see another ice diver join the group! Ice diving is one of the best times of the year to dive many of the inland lakes. For someone who likes fish, it has to be the best, as that's when I see the most fish!

NO PADDLEFISH!!! but we had 1:05 bottom time and a max depth of 26' again.

BTW: Did anyone lose an integrated weight pouch there recently?? I found one and have it.

That stinks you didn't see the paddlefish while you were there... They tend to stay about 10'-15' deep by the boat...and by the east wall.

About the only way you will go deeper than 26' is if you bring a shovel next time! :)

As we chatted previously by email, I am sorry I could not join you this time. Let me know when you are back in the area and hopefully we can find those paddlefish.

Did you ask Linda about the weight pouch (assuming she was at the air station)?
I think Tim from our local dive club lost one...earlier this year. I will try to send him a message to get some info on it.

Unfortunately no diving for me in the immediate future, I'm away doing field research. I'll be back early next year and be looking for buddies this winter, I'm sure.

I did ask Linda about the weight pouch, but she didn't know of anyone who'd lost one, and I told her I'd post on here about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom