New to solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perfect timing..I have been trying to figure out how to do the hip/shoulder mount..does anyone have a photo of the set up by chance?

Right now I run twin independent steel 72's but am thinking on running my twin alum 80's instead, and packing the steel 72 as a pony. Yeah, probably overkill, but would like to get in the habit of it for when I pursue the technical aspect of the sport.

I bought and read the book the OP is referring....basically worthless....sold it at a scuba garage sale 3 years or more ago. My 'solo' diving career started on my 13th dive after O/W certf. and I have not looked back since! :)

Perfect timing..I have been trying to figure out how to do the hip/shoulder mount..does anyone have a photo of the set up by chance?

Right now I run twin independent steel 72's but am thinking on running my twin alum 80's instead, and packing the steel 72 as a pony. Yeah, probably overkill, but would like to get in the habit of it for when I pursue the technical aspect of the sport.
I assume you are talking about how to rig the stage bottle itself.

This is how it is done hogarthian style.

The Hog rig uses normal hardware store items. Dive Rite sells a it that substitutes nylon webbing for rope, but they both accomlish exactly the same thing in the same way -the hardware store route is a lot cheaper and easier to find, the DIR version is a little cleaner looking.

The key elements are to have the upper clip tight to the bottle right at the base of the shoulder of the tank where it begins to bend in toward the neck and to leave a few inches of tail for the lower clip so that the tank can move with some freedom to streamline most efficiently.

With regard to the BP/wing's harness, you need the D ring on the shoulder strap just slightly higher than the upper part of your arm pit - high enough to keep the stage in tight, but low enough that you can reach the D-ring with either hand. The left waist D-ring on the waist strap should be in the center of your hip, half way between front and back.

I would advise against using a steel 72 as a pony, AL 40's and Luxfer AL 80's have very good bouyancy traits for stage use, they are slightly negative when full to about neutral when 2/3rds empty with the reg attached and very slightly positive when completely empty. In other words they don't create major trim issues at any one point in the dive. A steel 72 on the other hand starts off 6-7 lbs negative when full with the reg attached and never makes it to even neutral bouyancy when empty. This leaves you listing slightly to port with a full tank and, since you need to be weighted so as to drop the tank if needed, you have to weight yourself so that you can drop the tank late in the dive and still be neutral at a 10' safety/deco stop. So in effect, it creates both trim and over weighting issues compared to an AL 80.

Most steel tanks (not all as some are too negative for some warm water situations)make very good back gas tanks as they are non-ditchable so the negative bouyancy of the tank at the end fo the dive can be used in place of lead weight you would otherwise require with twin AL 80's on your back which would otherwise be positively bouyant when near empty.

DA, thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for. I have seen it once in RL, but forgot to take the picture of it..lol And my brother in law explaining it over the phone doesn't cut it.

It also makes sense about using the steels on my back and alum stage. My problem there lies in my air consumption. The alum 80's of course, will provide me much more bottom time than my steel 72's. Would my alum 50's make good stage/pony then with alum 80's on my back I wonder? the extra weight could be added to the tank bands instead of around the waist. This is probably the wrong place to discuss this I guess...lol..my apologies..

It also makes sense about using the steels on my back and alum stage. My problem there lies in my air consumption. The alum 80's of course, will provide me much more bottom time than my steel 72's. Would my alum 50's make good stage/pony then with alum 80's on my back I wonder? the extra weight could be added to the tank bands instead of around the waist. This is probably the wrong place to discuss this I guess...lol..my apologies..

There are all sorts of ways to skinning this pony/deco/stage bottle issue.....ask 100 divers and you will get many differing opinions and ideas....it comes down to what are you comfy with and what will get the task at hand done. I like both Al and some steel bottles depending on my needs.

I persl. use a slung steel 72 as a deco/staged and traveling stage bottle at times. They are not at all hard to handle and do provide added benefits under certain dive situations. Now there is nothing wrong with Al cylinders either...I use those also, and in combo at times with my one steel 72.

I had an Al50 at the time I entered into deco diving, so I put it to use as my standard EAN50 bottle for slinging...it works just as well as an Al80.....some folks say, its to stubby, will not ride/trim well...lol...the chances are they never have used one either....in fact they they do handle well, and if you have it available then put it into use. I persl. really like Al80's as slung bottles,,,a great all around pick.

But in general if you are properly configured and not over weighted, swimming off the bottom with no air in the wing is normally not a problem.

Last week, at a 67 meters (aprx 200 feet) bounce dive and slightly over weighted I found it difficult to swimm off the bottom only with fin strokes. Maybe this was due to the fact that my wetsuit at that depth was squeezed so much that it lost much of its boyancy.

Did any of you had similar experience ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom