New to Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atvmx51

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
New to Scuba just got certified. Getting out of racing motocross and looking forward to learning more. Any suggestions on gear you have had luck with would be appreciated.

Well, there's really no "bad" gear out there, there's just gear that's better than other gear. You might get more accurate feedback if you say what sort of diving you plan to do. Some gear is better suited for particular types of diving.

I like my Shearwater computer, my weight integrated AquaLung BC, my Faber steel cylinders, and my HOG regulators, and Riffe guns. That's just me. Others will have gear they prefer better. I like my titanium knife because I don't have to worry about rust. I like my ScubaPro Seawing Gorilla fins because they're stiff. Some divers don't like stiff fins though.

I used to dive ScubaPro regs but I think a lot of what you're buying when you buy ScubaPro is brand name (and they're proud of it), but their gear seems to be good quality. Never had a problem with my ScubaPro gear, it just always seemed over-priced for what it is. As far as regs, I'd recommend seeing what your local dive shop sells and then do some asking here to see if it suits your needs. It'll be especially inconvenient for you if you order online then find out the nearest dealer that can service your regs is 200 miles away when it comes time to have them serviced every year.

And don't rely solely on the sales pitch your dive shop guy is going to give you. Most of the time the "best gear" is the gear he makes the highest profit margin on, if you get my drift.

You'll get a lot of good feedback here from people who don't have a motive to sell you something. Have fun and dive safe.

Get out there, and find some great scuba guys, that can help you outfit with some terrific value used gear

Maybe hang around like a pest but quietly, and help carry their gear and watch and learn interesting stuff

Any suggestions on gear you have had luck with would be appreciated.

Any given gear category is thread-worthy in its own right. I'll try to hit on some highlights.

1.) Mask - fit is very personal. More expensive is not necessarily better. Some people like low volume masks, but just about anything on my face leaks at times, and low volume fills faster so not to my taste. I don't recommend buying a very expensive mask just assuming it must be better.

2.) Dive Computer - many people like the option to download dives to their personal computer, sometimes even smart phone, and many of us like air integrated as that can record our start and stop tank pressures and calculate our average gas usage rate corrected for depth. If you like playing with such things, you'll want that.

If you aspire to get into technical diving, such as very deep diving, cave diving, rebreather diving, etc..., though only a small % of the recreational diving public seems to do that (or so is my impression, take with a grain of salt), you might want a computer capable of technical diving.

Shearwater is a brand much-loved on ScubaBoard.

For computers, you can get console, puck or watch-style, and swappable single use vs. built-in rechargeable battery-powered, each with its own set of advantages and disadvantages.

3.) Fins - not so expensive that getting a different pair later is likely a major concern, but if you intend to get into penetration diving (e.g.: wrecks, caves) or otherwise value tight maneuverability, you might want paddle fins not split fins. Some people are prone to be foot heavy, so lighter fins are a plus (e.g.: Deep6 Eddy, OMS Slipstream, ScubaPro Go Sport IIRC?).

Oh, you'll most likely want open-heel fins, not full foot fins. With full foot, you'll likely wear without scuba boots, and for shore diving people often walk in and out wearing boots but not fins. With open-heel, many people like spring straps due to durability.

4.) Regulator - you'll likely want something an area dive shop does routine maintenance on. Unless you are wealthy and into the 'finer things' (e.g.: Rolex, Porsche), I suggest you steer clear of those $1,500+ regulators that are a little lighter via more titanium parts (hello, Atomic Aquatics!). I like my Atomic Aquatics B2, but a couple of times on dive trips I've found it hard to get serviced where I think a ScubaPro wouldn't probably been easier. If you are a technical guy and want to service your own gear, you may want to read about the Deep6 regulator offerings. ScubaPro has a rep. for good stuff but at a premium price.

Oh, I doubt you'll be doing much really cold water diving, or in environments where contamination is a higher than usual concern, but if you expect to do so, then you might want to consider what's involved in 'environmental sealing' of that regulator. I haven't dealt with this.

5.) BCD. Likely you've used a standard jacket BCD by now. Very 'off the rack, grab and go,' not much drama to it. At the other end of the spectrum is the back plate/wing, a highly customizable setup where you have choices to make about the 'plate' that's like the main frame, the inflatable 'wing' that gives lift, the 'webbing' (nylon strap harness), tank attachment and so forth. They don't tend to have built-in pockets (aside from integrated weight pockets), but there are ways to add such.

Speaking to general stereotypes, a jacket BCD tends to hold your face higher from the water at the surface and more comfortably straight up at cost of making horizontal trim during your dive a bit tougher. A BP/W is modular, configurable, can be a hassle to set up, requires understanding a making choices, sits a little lower at the surface and can pitch your forward if you over-inflate the wing at the surface, enables easier horizontal trim at depth, and so it's not nearly so 'off the rack, grab and go.' For example, someone shopping for a wing needs to ask how much lift he needs, and may want to make sure he gets one with a bladder that's not a 'horse shoe shape' (so air is less likely to get trapped in one part).

But if you get into technical diving, BP/W is likely what you'll use (e.g.: customizability comes in handy, like if you dive with 2 tanks). I doubt you've heard of GUE yet, but for their Fundamentals course they have specific gear requirements, so in the unlikely event you plan to go that route, find out what they demand.

Oh, I recommend getting a weight-integrated system. If you get one and decide you prefer using a weight belt, no problem, but if you don't get one and decide you don't like weight belts...

6.) For diving any large body of water where getting away from the boat is a risk, you need a finger spool and an SMB (surface marker buoy). You'll want one that can deployed from depth (not just inflated at the surface) and that can relieve excess pressure. Dive Gear Express at the bottom of this page has some useful info. In a nutshell, your little head at the surface is hard to see from a boat; a 4 to 6 foot right inflated tube can save your life. I use a spool & SMB.

Something less universally endorsed but that could probably have saved some lives is a signaling device such as a Nautilus Lifeline or PLB (Personal Locator Buoy, in a water-proof container). When you're lost at sea, drifting helplessly, desperately dehydrated while seawater messes up your skin and sunburn roasts exposed areas, one of these could make the difference. I don't dive one, but I'd like you to be aware of the option.

7.) Cutting Tool - you don't need a big knife to fight sharks with. A smaller, compact tool in case you get snared in fishing line, etc..., is a good idea. A Trilobyte is a fine choice, and I have one on a strap across my chest. I dislike the rapid rusting up of typical dive knives (and I don't quickly rinse and dry them after dives), so for me, the 'buy once, cry once' rust-proof options are preferable - either titanium or H1-steel (e.g.: Spyderco brand has some H1 options) knives. Some people like EMT sheers, or go cheap and take a cheap steak knife, take off the point, and use as disposables.

8.) For dive trips with a lot of repeat diving, lycra socks can prevent rubbing blisters on your feet.

9.) I use over-the-counter swimmer's ear drops about ever 2 or 3 dives (I don't count drops; I just shoot some in and waller around my ears) to prevent infection. Wait till you get infected and it'll BURN.

10.) If there's any credible chance you'll shore dive in places with iron shore (e.g.: Bonaire), get dive boots with at least a medium thick sole so you can walk around rough, even jagged surfaces weighted down in dive gear without much foot pain. SeaSoft Sunrays are an option.

11.) Thermal protection needs vary widely. Women and skinny people seem to get colder easier. Wetsuit fit is individual. I like extra-stretchy neoprene (like Henderson's Thermprene). With my big head, Henderson's extra stretchy AquaLock hood (their largest size) was needed, and it still pulls on my lower jaw - by comparison, the same size NeoSport hood feels like my head's in a compactor.

Does that sound like you need to settle in at your computer with a bottle of Tylenol for headache while you research? Well, there's more - underwater camera, dive light, what to take on a liveaboard (where they say if it's not on the boat, it's not on the boat), etc... But if you read up on this stuff, it'll get you started.

A common recommendation on SB is rent awhile before you buy. A few exceptions - mask (fit very individual and leakage is aggravating), computer (it's nice if you're familiar with it), dive boots and fins (if you are an unusual fit, like my size 15 feet) and wetsuit (if you're hard to fit). You don't need to rush into buying a regulator or BCD.

New to Scuba just got certified. Getting out of racing motocross and looking forward to learning more. Any suggestions on gear you have had luck with would be appreciated.
Since you're based in Largo, I'd hold off buying anything new; you're in diver's paradise and there's a big quality used market.

Borrowing a little bit off of @drrich2, purchase in the following order:

1.) Mask - Buy new. Too personal to offer suggestions. Go with what feels good on your face and seals.

2.) Fins - Buy used. Again, very personal. I love my RK3s.

3.) Wetsuit -Buy new, but try on EVERYTHING. I personally prefer mobility over warmth. Your experience will vary. You want a good 'snug' fit that you can get into and out of 'reasonably' easily. :)

4.) Boots/socks - I'm now a convert to boots over socks or booties. With Bare 5mm ultrawarmth boots, I can shore dive, walk around a boat, without any problems. They're tough.

Now go dive a lot with the above, renting everything else. Then,

5.) Regulator - Buy quality used. Atomic, ScubaPro, DiveRite. My opinion, the best reg is the one you can get easily services at home and where you want to dive. I like regs that I can adjust the flow on. It should breathe easy regardless of how your body is oriented.

6.) BCD - Rent and shop around. Resist the temptation to commit to a BCD or BPW until you dived a range and recognize what you like and what you need. The list of good manufacturers is too long. :)

7.) Dive Computer - Buy quality used if possible. Strongly consider air-integrated (transmitter), particularly if you are going to spend the money. Shearwater (I have a Perdix AI and I love it; if I had to buy new now, I'd go for the new Peregrine TX), Garmin Descent mk3, Cressi Leonardo, Suunto Zoop.

8.) Safety gear - SMB and reel. I prefer the type that fills from the bottom and has a purge valve. Invest in a good whistle; I use a Hyperwhistle. It's a little larger than most whistles marketed to divers, but by god it's LOUD. Agree with the good Dr. on Nautilus Lifeline / PLB; I don't own one, but it's a good bit of kit.

Tools:

9.) Pointer stick - this my most used underwater item. My wife and I have "XS Scuba Dive Master Pointer with Clip". It is fantastic for muck, gesturing to small critters, pushing off reefs (rock) when doing close-in investigations, monopod for my camera, leaving as a point of reference (breadcrumb), noise maker (bang against tank), and fidget toy (when you're waiting for something/someone.

10.) Cutting Tool - Meh. Unless you're diving in unknown locations, I wouldn't bother with a knife. A Trilobite is more than sufficient.

11.) Torch/Flashlight - something relatively compact. I like the Orcatorch D550. Put it on a boltsnap, and secure it to your BC with a rubber o-ring or rubber bike tube.

12.) Leatherman or similar multitool- a REALLY useful tool to have in your save-a-dive kit.

13.) Save-a-dive kit - look it up and stock it based on the gear you own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom