New to Scuba Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronniemu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I had just received my OW Cert., new to Scuba I only made 7 dives. Next month, I will be going on the Star Princess (Western Carribean Cruise). Naturally I will be diving in The Grand Cayman Islands and in Cozumel. Wanting some underwater pictures, I could use some advice. I presently own an Olympus C-7000 digital camera. I noticed that a underwater housing cost better then $300. I am not sure if I want to spend that much, especially if I am not sure how much use the camera would get. I live on Long Island and the viz on my 7 dives was very poor. At this time I am not sure how much diving I will be doing on future vacations, although I am hoping I can. It seems expensive paying $300 for an underwater housing to put over my camera. Perhaps a new camera would be better although it would cost more money. I know that film cameras cost much less, maybe I should purchase one, if it gets plenty of use, I could purchase a digital camera or underwater case. I believe the cruise line offers the rental of film camera (not sure about the quality of the pictures), I want to make sure that I get some good pictures on my first REAL Dives.

Thanks for any information and advice that you could offer, Ronnie

hey, there is awlays cheap disposable ones. they only go to like 50 ft. for under 20 bucks. there is no flash. but im sure if its sunny and used right can make a good pic. Or go with sealife or sea and sea. they have some for like 400 i think. that are digital and have flash. they come with a housing

I picked up a used Ikelite Aquashot3 film camera on Ebay for $35.

Used it this past June for my first dive trip to the Bahamas. Went through 14 rolls of film!!!

It did pretty good. I recently got an Ikelite Auto35 off of Ebay for about $80. I haven't dived with it yet.:mad:

I would check to see if anyone has a digital UW camera that you could borrow or rent for the time you are on the cruise.

The vis in the Carribean will be much better than what you've had so far.

Good luck!!! I'm jealous... :D

Just remember that bringing a camera is an extra task on top of everything else, it adds drag, hinders movement and requires fair buouyancy control and relaxed breathing to use - so maybe don't bring it on the checkout dive.

How many times have I seen cameras bobbing and floating (or hitting me on the head) forgotten because the real challenge was basic gear control, buoyancy control, equalising and so forth ...

Other than that I hope it provides you endless hours of fun. Good trip. Wish it was me

Ask someone else on the cruise to take a few pictures for you. If you've only done 7 dives it's probably not time to add a camera to the mix. Why spend the money if you're not even certain you will be doing a lot of diving? Concentrate on bouyancy and good diving, and let someone else with a proper camera set-up do the photography. It's difficult to get even average quality pictures under water.

Have to agree with others do a little diving first, a camera really does complicate things and changes your dive profile.

I am debating this with myself too. Brand new diver, who has been a camera bug for years. I know I'll want to save pics of everything I see, because that is what I do on land. But I know when I am at a concert or other event taking pictures, I tend to miss a lot of what's going on, so I don't enjoy the event as much. I am hoping somone on my next trip will have a camera and will send me copies.

Do this trip without the pix. This will help you get a bit better at diving without worrying about the camera. You also need to have a look at everything down there a few times full size, that is, not through a viewfinder. You can also take this opportunity to quiz your fellow divers on the boat about their camera gear. Then maybe on your next trip, you'll be ready to snap some good ones.

I have to agree with the rest, just go and dive. UW photography is a lot more complicated than topside photography. As a new diver, you need all your attention focused on your diving. Between the wow factor, controlling your buoyancy, PAYING ATTENTION TO YOUR AIR consumption and just keeping up with the group you have enough to worry about. If you see another diver that is taking pictures, ask if they would take a few of you and send you copies. I send CDs to lots of people I dive with. I would not suggest you buddy with the photographer however. We tend to have our own agenda and for the most part make poor buddies. We focus more on the camera than the other diver. For buddy teams that have not spent time together, this is not a good situation. Go and enjoy being able to see all the wildlife. After you have some experience, then get the camera.

My advice if you really want to try the camera.

See if Star Princess RENTS underwater cameras, I know the Golden Princess did, give them a call because that might be a cheap way to give it a quick try without having to invest much money on it (not sure what they cost to rent since I own one but).

Back
Top Bottom