new to scuba and need tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

11x

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
i am gathering my scuba gear and all i need is a couple tanks. i am looking for aluminum 80's but would consider others if the price is right, thanks

Might want to see what other divers in your area are using for tanks. Aluminum 80's might not be the best choice.

JPB

Only if you can be sure of good fills. A number of shops will only fill to 3000 making HP tanks pretty senseless. With LP steels you can most always get a good fill. Lp 72's, 85's, or even 95's would be my first choices.

The HP100 IMHO has become the defacto standard steel cylinder. Even with a short 3000psi fill there is ~87cuft which is more than a std AL80 which is full at ~78cuft. They have the same form factor but better buoyancy characteristics than an AL80.

That said I personally have a preference for LP cylinders; LP66 (doubled), LP85 (doubled), LP95 (single), and LP108 (single) are all in our supply.

Low pressure 72's can be a very good buy. There are lots of used ones around and they are pretty indestructable as long as you don't let them get wet inside. I picked up three used ones the other day for $50.00 each. They were in current hydro and VIP.

In my opinion aluminum 80's are poor choices. They have a big change from negative to positive bouyancy making it necessary to compensate with more weight at the beginning of the dive. You can find them cheap on the used market but they often fail hydro after the second or third test.

I agree with everyone else who has posted in that the general consensus is that alumimum 80's are not a good choice. Where I dive, NJ, a shallow dive is generally in the 60 to 80 foot range. Many dive sites are also in the 100 - 125 foot range. Out here no one dives with less then a 100 or 120 cuft tank.
When I first started diving in NJ, I bought aluminum 80's because the dive shop owner was happy to sell them to me knowing I would soon return for bigger tanks.
My advise would be to find out what type of diving is generally done in your area and what tank setups are generally used. Then buy a set of tanks.

Also, you can never have too much air!!!

JPB

well i will be quary diving mostly and in shallow lakes and rivers. i am interested in public safty diving in the neer future. so if steel is the way to go then that is what i will look for. why does it seem like everyone is wanting alum 80? seems to be the most popular out there

Low pressure 72's can be a very good buy. There are lots of used ones around and they are pretty indestructable as long as you don't let them get wet inside. I picked up three used ones the other day for $50.00 each. They were in current hydro and VIP.

True ...

In my opinion aluminum 80's are poor choices. They have a big change from negative to positive bouyancy making it necessary to compensate with more weight at the beginning of the dive. You can find them cheap on the used market but they often fail hydro after the second or third test.

The buoyancy swing was NOTHING to do with why AL80 are not always preferred. The buoyancy swing for an AL80 is the same as a HP80. What is different is their initial buoyancy. As a result one has to add addition weight - weight which is not needed at the beginning of the dive but at the END to compensate for the gas that was used.

As for the hydro comment. Utter BS. AL cylinders can go many many many years before failing. Just like a well cared for steel cylinder. If their failing after 2-3 hydro was true then the problem 6351 cylinder made well over 20+ years ago would not be a problem as most are on their 3rd, 4th or more hydro.

why does it seem like everyone is wanting alum 80? seems to be the most popular out there

Less initial cost and easier maintenance when it comes to water intrusion. A salt water and steel makes for rust whereas for AL and salt water you get corrosion which is a bit asier to deal with.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom