New To San Antonio Area, Looking For Dive Buddies And Groups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone! I'm relocating to the San Antonio area and should be available for diving sometime around mid April. I don't mind driving an hour or two to a nice site and I'll have about a month off when I get to Texas so hit me up if you are in the area as I should have ample time all throughout the week. I'm still very new but I have AOW and Enriched Air Diver so if you are down for a Nitrox dive or a night dive I'm totally game. Looking forward to diving with y'all!

Welcome to Texas, land of muddy water. I would get in touch with Duggan Dives in Universal City (northeast SA). Great shop that would be my LDS if I lived close to SA. They have an active dive club.

You can also ask them about the Dive Authorization Course in San Marcos to dive Spring Lake.

Lake Travis, nw of Austin, is another popular dive location. My personal choice would be to dive with Robert at www.laketravisscuba.com

Thanks for the advice! I'll get in touch with the Duggan Dive shop and check them out. I've been looking into the Dive Authorization Course. I've heard spring lake in san marcos is one of the better places to dive in the area. Have you taken the course?

Yeah, when I took the course it was $95. I have stopped diving there until the staff and parking services finish their pissing match.

The university built a couple large parking garages that nobody uses. To pay for them a new parking policy was enacted to maximize revenue on every single parking space the university controls. The university is aggressively writing tickets at the drop of a hat. One iron rule of life is to never get between a liberal and money.

I get the impression that higher management believes there is no reason to provide any support for the volunteer divers who work to keep the springs clear of weeds. Only the volunteers can decide whether they are correct.

I really miss the submarine, and all that came with it. Convient parking, carts to haul equipment, secure gear area for divers, changing facilities, lockers, showers, air fills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaron, the current lake manager, explained the decisions regarding divers during the "deconstruction" planning like this, they wanted a full service restaurant but didn't see the need for a grease trap. Related, they did have to build a much bigger parking area for bus's after ripping up a perfectly function parking lot in the same place. (see iron rule about liberals and money)

They just didn't understand the amount of work we volunteers did to keep the lake presentable and the support we gave to the endangered species. I have been told that the species counts when divers were not working dropped by 50%.

BTW, I was pulling for the sub and thought it might win until they brought in the super crane.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom