New to Photography and need some insight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maule:
Can a strobe be reasonable attached to this? My minimum requirements are being able to take pictures that I can see. I see a strobe enabled camera as a minimum. That's why I am currently leaning toward the sea & sea 750 sport package. If you, or anyone else for that matter, know of a reason I shouldn't be considering this please voice your opinion. Thanks again for all your responses. I do truly appreciate it.
get the oly 350 and an ikelite housing..the ike housing has a sync port to connect to the hot shoe on the camera and it gives you true oly ttl for the ike strobe that you will use with it..much better housing that the oly one..

First, I own an Olympus C-5060 (older than SP-350, but similar in capabilities), an Ikelite housing, an Ikelite DS-125 strobe, and an Ikelite DS-50 strobe. I've also owned the Olympus housing for my camera.

For the SP-350 housing, the Olympus housing is $190 and the Ikelite housing is $440 (at B&H). I'm not sure that I would spend the $440 on a housing for a mediocre $200 camera that is probably near the end of its production cycle. I have a problem spending more than two times the camera cost on the housing which will lock you into that aging camera for several years.

I suggest that you plan your purchases with upgrading in mind. I would buy the SP-350 ($200), the Oly housing ($190), and a used Ikelite DS-50 strobe with a manual controler/sensor (as low as $200) or perhaps a used Inon strobe. This way you can continue to use the strobe when you upgrade the camera or sell it later for almost as much as you bought it. Now you've only spent $600 and you can use your strobe with future equipment, either as a fill light, a backup light, or your primary.

I used my DS-125 strobe with the Oly housing and a slave sensor for a year before I broke my Oly housing and upgrade to an ikelite with the insurance money and more of my own. The slave sensor technique is quite servicable. The DX-750 strobe also functions as a slave. Yes, the Ikelite TTL is better, but how long do you want to stick with the SP-350?

Just my $.02

David

AUTiger:
First, I own an Olympus C-5060 (older than SP-350, but similar in capabilities), an Ikelite housing, an Ikelite DS-125 strobe, and an Ikelite DS-50 strobe. I've also owned the Olympus housing for my camera.

For the SP-350 housing, the Olympus housing is $190 and the Ikelite housing is $440 (at B&H). I'm not sure that I would spend the $440 on a housing for a mediocre $200 camera that is probably near the end of its production cycle. I have a problem spending more than two times the camera cost on the housing which will lock you into that aging camera for several years.

I suggest that you plan your purchases with upgrading in mind. I would buy the SP-350 ($200), the Oly housing ($190), and a used Ikelite DS-50 strobe with a manual controler/sensor (as low as $200) or perhaps a used Inon strobe. This way you can continue to use the strobe when you upgrade the camera or sell it later for almost as much as you bought it. Now you've only spent $600 and you can use your strobe with future equipment, either as a fill light, a backup light, or your primary.

I used my DS-125 strobe with the Oly housing and a slave sensor for a year before I broke my Oly housing and upgrade to an ikelite with the insurance money and more of my own. The slave sensor technique is quite servicable. The DX-750 strobe also functions as a slave. Yes, the Ikelite TTL is better, but how long do you want to stick with the SP-350?

Just my $.02

David

so you are telling this guy to get an inferior housing,one that you had ,broke and discarded,and replaced with an ike housing that you admit is better..the cost difference is $200./$240 ..that is a small cost in the total scheme of things..yes a manual controller is serviceable but the ttl feature is sooo much better and easier to use..

Overall, the Oly housings are very good - they just don't have TTL. The Oly housing for the 5060 had a design flaw that allowed the port to break off. This was changed in future versions. I used that housing for for 1.5 years.

My main points were spending more than twice as much on the housing and being locked into that first camera and buying the equipment so that you have an upgrade path.

David

Back
Top Bottom