New to me Davey MC1A

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isaac-1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Well now I have a real problem, I bid $350 on a Davey MC1A diesel powered 15 cfm surplus compressor off the government liquidation website and won. The compressor is trailer mounted, and I know there have been a few people on here that have bought these lately, so here go a couple of questions:

Does anyone know the exact width (outside wheel to wheel) of one of these trailer mounted Davey's? I need to know to select the right trailer/tow vehicle to use to pick it up. (8 ft /12 ft utility or 22 ft gooseneck) Also the claimed weight is #2000 does anyone know if this is right? (the compressor is about 175 miles away)

What should I check before trying to fire it up when I get home?

thanks Ike

The Davey is equipped with a trailer eye which takes a pintal hook. This arrangement allows fast hook up for purposes of towing at low speed around air fields or aboard ship. Max safe speed is about 30 mph. The trailer is not equipped with any street legal equipment including license plate, lights, brakes or tow ball. The size and weight alone are not a factor with respect to road laws or regulations. A small pickup could move it easily. However, flat bed truck is more common due to the other factors. As to a trailer size est, I'll get back to you with dimensions. See below:

length (bar up) 82"
length (bar down) 122"
width 65"
height (bar up) 69"
height(bar down) 55"
weight 2100
shipping cubage 182 cf

Read the manual before "firing up".
1MC11 Manual Davey 4000 PSI Air Compressor CD - eBay (item 290229643423 end time May-17-08 13:36:41 PDT)

1MC1A Manual Davey 15 CFM 3500 PSI Air Compressor CD - eBay (item 300223843006 end time May-17-08 13:36:43 PDT)

Last edited:
Thanks, I am hopefull that it will fit (width) on one of time smaller 8/12 ft utility trailers, as I only have one vehicle with a gooseneck hookup and the air conditioning does not work in that one.

Ike

p.s. I will go ahead and invest in the manual and hope it is in as good of shape as it looked in the photos

If it's possible, try to find out the usage and repair history when you pick it up. If this unit has been sitting unused for several years, it could very well have some corrosion in the cylinders from sitting outside in the weather. Also the cylinder heads can reveal signs of overheating if that lovely green paint is discolored.

If you are unable to get some answers or better yet, actually see it running and building the factory set 3600psi, I would highly recommend removing a cylinder from the compressor before you start it.

You got a great deal. Just the filter stacks alone would be worth that. It will fit on the 8 by 12 fine. Yes it weighs in at one ton. Just load it over the axle. I pulled one over 500 miles from Pensacola to SC no problem. It will be drained when you get it. Fill engine and compressor with oil. Instructions for starting and running are on the unit. Fill it with diesel (check the tank out and fuel filter for rust/debris)hand prime and crank. It is possible if it sat too long for the compressor to be "stuck" so you might want to be careful first time you engage the clutch. There are guages for each stage so you will know right away if it is working well. Clean out all the traps (left side facing compressor end) and do a good visual to make sure everything is hooked up, sometimes they can be missing a fitting or hose.

Have fun!

EDIT: ..and now get ready to spend some real money.

Thanks for all the help so far, I have ordered a copy of the owners manual, and will be going to pick up the compressor next Monday. While I wait I would like to try to get a few things together to test it, in particular I assume it will need new batteries as battery removal is standard procedure for these type auctions. Does anyone know the size and voltage that is required?

thanks

Thanks for all the help so far, I have ordered a copy of the owners manual, and will be going to pick up the compressor next Monday. While I wait I would like to try to get a few things together to test it, in particular I assume it will need new batteries as battery removal is standard procedure for these type auctions. Does anyone know the size and voltage that is required?

thanks

I decided to go with a good 12V Group 31 truck battery instead of the smaller one the unit came with. It's wider than the original battery but there is plenty of room for it and it's not like there's a need to save weight or anything. You'll just need to come up with something to clamp it down.

Another item that's worth having is some sort of a battery tender to help keep it charged and ready between uses. You can find one at any motorcycle shop or Harbor Freight.

Good luck, I bid on and won one too.
Only thing usable was the filter stacks and Regulator.

Well I am back from my 450 mile round trip to pick up the Davey compressor, it was an adventure and took longer than planned (air conditioning compressor on the tow vehicle went out half way there, etc). I did not get home until after dark and have only had limited time to inspect the compressor. I am still waiting on the CD manual from ebay, so I am working from limited information, but here are the bullet points.

As expected fluids have been drained and battery removed, battery cables appear clean and there was still some oil on the dip sticks.

I found no information to indicate service history other than a cryptic hydro date stenciled in white on the pressure resivoir, it may indicate when hydroed in 2007 or next due in 2012, there are no obvious missing or broken parts. The compressor had an original build date of 09/88.

Oil filters appear fairly new, compressor has a slightly dirty orange Fram, Diesel filter was "Defense " brand and looked fresh out of the box (bright white and blue letters, no dirt or fading), some wiring on the back of the control panel appears relatively new (some of the older wires are cracking)

Known problems so far:
one cover corner bent (looks like someone clipped a corner while towing), sliding door slightly bent, HP hose spool dented and will not pull out much (hose itself appears near perfect, no cracking), fill cap to diesel tank somewhat rusted, filler gasket dryrotted, and someone appears to have tried to caulk the hole, rubber diesel filler hose loose from tank.

Now for a few questions, since I am still waiting on the manuals:

What type and quantitiy of oil should I use for the compressor and the diesel (how is SL 500 sold by August Industries?)

Does the compressor dip stick lock in place? I see it has an o-ring seal, but I could not get it to screw down (the was in the dark with a flashlight)?

Also any suggestion on how to open the filter canisters (what are the flat head screws on the tops for, the screws look worn/gouged)?

thanks Ike

ps they also have a small vertical cabinet Comp Air compressor for sale also auction ending on the 23rd at the same location outside Texarkana with what looks like a nice filter stack.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom