new to forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boscher99

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, i am to to this forum. Sorry if i dont have the hang of this yet. I have a question. I have an old Luxfer tank that i want to try to put back in service. The markings on the tank are as follows ; luxfer tank ctc/dot-3al3000 p572034 luxfer 0691-s90.

Some of the older Luxfer tanks had issues with microfractures or some such. Some dive shops refuse to fill them. Others do a modified visual and fill them. I don't know which numbers indicated a problem tank beyond Luxfer AL80 3000.

Ask a local shop if they'd fill it before paying for a hydro.

This was from the Luxfer site about the recall:

Between 1987 and 1988, Luxfer Gas Cylinders discontinued use of 6351 aluminum alloy and began using a proprietary version of 6061 aluminum alloy for all its aluminum cylinder models manufactured in the United States. Listed below are the dates by model number when the transitions to the new alloy occurred. Any current Luxfer models that do not appear on this list were never made from 6351 alloy in the first place and have always been made from Luxfer's proprietary 6061 alloy.

SCUBA
S30, S63 -May 1988

S40 - June 1988

S50, S92 - April 1988

S72, S100 - August 1987

S80 - January 1988

S808 - May1987

Based on the numbers in your post your tank looks to be fine. I would check with your local dive shop to see if they can service it.

I have had 3 Luxfer tanks that were part of the recall, found out when I took them for hydro and the LDS said don't bother because of the date. They said the hydro company wouldn't even touch them. It was off to the scrap yard after that.

Back
Top Bottom