New to forum and not yet certified.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkt0912

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good mroning to all.

Well, it all started when a bunch of us decided to go on a cruise. My girlfriend and I have never been on a cruise before, so this was exciting. As with any other cruise, so I'm told, we have to go snorkeling!!! So with that being said, I started to research the websites for new snorkeling gear. After much web-surfing, the "big" purchase was made!!! FINALLY. lol
But now, because of all the research, I couldn't help but become curious about SCUBA !!! I have always been interested in learning, but never thought it was something I would actually do. I have already bugged my "LDS" (learned that fancy tid-bit of lingo from reading on here :dork2: ) way too much. I am just so eager to learn. There are actually quite few LDS's to choose from around here. So now, I have to figure out which one to go to, to take our class. Like the cruise, there is going to be a group of us taking the class together. For the most part, we all work for the local Fire Department and I am a Firefighter/Paramedic of about 8 years. We are all getting very excited about the course. Now, I can't tell if I am more excited about our first cruise, or actually getting back from the cruise, so we can start the dive course !!!! lol We hope to start the dive course in early October.
Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself and give a little insight as to why I am on here.

Thanks for reading,
Ty

By the way.... Thank you for all the info I have already learned on here!!!!!

Welcome to the board. SCUBA is 1:) addictive and 2:) good exercises and 3:) a great mental health break (but then we have all had a mental break before we got into the water, that is why we dive). Take your time, and don't be in a rush to buy gear. Remember the dive instructor is often (usually) a dive shop employee. That means many (most) dive shops require them to wear and endorse only the gear they sell and it has to be less than 2 years old. So looking to your instructor for guidance on what to buy may be the same as talking to the salesman in the store.

Don't forget to check out the Florida section under United States.
Again welcome.

welcome to SB... you'll love it here

Pasley---

I have already noticed that w/ all of our LDS's. They all seem to carry only a select vendor or two. I have done much of my "research" online and I am noticing several price differences. I have entertained the thought of ebay, craigslist and even other dive forums, for used gear. I have learned that I would obviousy need to take any used equipment in to have it inspected and serviced. But then if you buy new, some vendors pay for replacement parts for 2yrs or even for the life of the equipment. That sounds cool too.
The biggest bumber about SCUBA, for me anyway, is the cost!!!!!
I am soooooo intersted in learning though, so...... oh well !!!! lol
I have also thought about renting for a while too.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for the warm welcome!!!!

Don't hesitate to rent for a while. You may realize that you're not going to dive enough to justify purchasing equipment. Also, until you dive you won't know whether you want to stick to basic diving or expeand into wreck/cave/tech diving. These are all thing which would effect your equipment purchasing decisions and it would be no fun to buy a truckload of gear only to realize you should have gotten a BP+W instead of a jacket or nitrox ready gear.

welcome aboard

Thanks for the info !!!
My girlfriend and I will both be diving and I figure "maybe", it will be worth it to buy, at least for me. Ya see, I am one of those "portly" type guys. lol So with that being said, I have heard that it may not be possible, that every dive charter or rental shop may have my size. We'll see. One shop said it would not be an issue at all for them. They happen to be the shop that I think we are going to use for our OW certification class. Anyway, I am still window shopping and we'll see how it turns out. lol
I am getting so excited to start learning !!!!!
Can't wait.
11 more days until our cruise and then........ it's time to come home and learn to DIVE !!!!

Hi ...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...

:sblogo:...............
banana.gif

Have fun and good luck ... wished you could of had your cert before you went! But next time, thats one of the things so cool about being a diver ... great for excuses for vacations!

So get this.....
Last night was my 30th b-day party and it was an amazing one !!!! :wink:
Anyway one of my best friends, although told NO PRESENTS, shows up and gives me a present.
He went and paid for my OW cert class !!!!! Can you believe that !?!?!?!
Needless to say, I am sooo excited !!!!!
Just thought I'd share that w/ ya'll.

Wish I had a friend like that! Welcome to SB; you'll enjoy the class. I just finished mine. After being certified as a "Basic" diver for 28 yrs, I went and got my OW cert with my daughter, fiance, and her daughter.
I'm a firefighter also, and I'm trying to get a few co-workers to get their OW cert's done so we can do some FD dive trips. My fiance and I are getting married in Jamaica at Sandals Dunn's River this spring, then all four of us are going on a cruise in Sept to Cayman, Belize, Roatan,and Cozumel. btw, if anyone has suggestions on good people to book dives with in any of those places, let me know.

Again, welcome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom