New to Forum and have a Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although that second dive might get you cold, a 5 mil is kinda heavy. As suggested a 3ml body suit would do, or maybe your skin and a beany,but that may be a little thin.
Are you diving every day or just a few dives?

I will be diving only 2 dives. The first, weather permitting, will be the North Wall at 120 Feet. The second dive will be at 50 feet. Thank you all for your response and excellent advice.

Everyone is a bit different in our resistance to cold. Age, Condition, Body fat, are just some of the factors. I have seen people at Little Cayman and Brac wearing nothing all the way to a full 5mm. You most likely know your tolerance level to cold and as said above the water temp will be in the low to mid 80s. You might want to try to come up with a layered protection approach so you can add stuff like a hooded vest or beany or more as your dive day and week progress. Remember if the weather is cooler and windy, your interval can cool you down so that when you start your next dive you are already cooler than you want to be. Being cold can take the fun out of a dive as can bad vis, and then there are nasty down currents, leaking masks, etc. the list goes on.

We've done a few dives this week and so far the temps at depth around Grand Cayman have been in the 82-84 degree range. But my computer may read a little warmer than others. I've been perfectly comfortable with swim trunks only.

Remember - no gloves - so don't buy / bring any (illegal)

a 3 mil, or 2/3 mil, full body with boots, for comfort and prevent abrasions. A skin 1 mil can be fine too, purely for protection.

When "hanging off a rope" doing your safety stop, wrap a leg or an arm around the rope, don't EVER use your barehands.

The only safe thing to touch is the boat's ladder.

Remember - no gloves - so don't buy / bring any (illegal)

Okay, this is probably a dumb question, but...

I understand there's no gloves allowed while scuba diving or snorkeling, but how about for just plain old swimming in the ocean, say off of Seven Mile Beach where it's just sandy bottom, not near any reefs? The reason I ask is that I have a pair of neoprene "fitness" swimming gloves that I like to wear, which basically have a nylon webbing material between the fingers for more efficient propulsion. Banned or permitted?

I dove Grand Cayman the first week of October 2011, Water temps were 89 degrees... down to 110 fsw. No suit necessary.
Happy diving.
Kevin

Just got back from a week of diving GCM, wore a 3mm and a thin skin top I put on in between dives, was perfect. All depends on your body type, etc as others have said. It's alway easy to drop some aqua in the suit vs being cold and uncomfortable... Am thinking your 5mm will be too much. Enjoy Cayman!

I have always dove in a skin. My partner has too, and only started to feel a little chilly after 5 days of two tanks per day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom