New to diving, will I become addicted ? :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stewstews

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey all!

Glad to have found a forum to educate myself on :)

I have a trip planned island hopping through French Polynesia. Apparently some awesome diving to be done over there, so am spending lots of time researching. Have never dived before, but feel like this could become quite a hobby...

So am here to learn, and in time provide advice back to future rookies!

Cheers!
Stewstews

Well, you've joined a forum full of people who DID get addicted, so I suspect your answers will tend toward the "yes" end of the spectrum . . .

I think you'll have fun on your trip. If you can head a bit north into the Tuamotos, you'll have even more fun. Diving on Rangiroa ranks as some of the absolute most amazing diving we've done in the last seven years. Everything, from incredibly colorful, lush reefs, to huge schools of pelagics, was incredible.

Yeah kind of a dumb question hey, but also a good indicator I think :)

I'm doing most of the Society Islands and Rangiroa. I'm going to spend most of my time learning on Moorea at the start of the trip. I then have 5ish days on the rest of the islands from there, if I enjoy it on Moorea I hope to get in say 2 days of diving at each island, especially Rangiroa.

I don't think that there is a chance of getting addicted as long as you keep diving...let's say... every week. :D

Haha that's what I'm worried about, that I'll always be pining for my next opportunity, which I won't really get time for unless I take a holiday... which is fairly rare atm!

So, if I read this right, you are going to do your OW class on Moorea? Is there nowhere you can do it at home, before you go? The diving up in the Tuamotos is so fabulous, you really ought to get the most practice in that you possibly can before you get there, so that you can go out into the blue water, or do the Tiputa Pass dive. And those stunning, pristine reefs deserve the best buoyancy control you can offer them.

That was the plan, albeit not ideal. The decision to go on the holiday has been last minute as the opportunity to get away with my work schedule just popped up.

I leave on the 12th, and so have only 2 weekends left before I go. Looking around at local courses but most will need a little more time in advance to book and I'm not sure I can be available for the 3-4 days that I'd need :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom