New to Diving- Uncertified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a new diver, I would spend the money in the following order.

Computer
Wetsuit
Regulator
BCD
Tanks

Given your location, you may or may not need to get a wetsuit right away, unless you plan on spring dives or diving during the winter.

I'd start off with a computer. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, but if possible look for one with some sort of logging interface. Bluetooth is preferred, but cable will do for now. Factor in the cost of the computer if you need one, as that may make up the difference between a cabled and bluetooth version. When I first started diving, I didn't have a computer. My dive logging habits weren't the best, and I've lost some paper logs through the years. With my first computer, it had logging ability, but I never had the cable. So, there is a significant gap in my current log. Computer will help you real-time on a dive. It shouldn't happen, but if you were to overstay your NDL, the computer can get you to the surface safely. Look for one with at least 2 buttons. The single button models can be hard to cycle through the menus.

For a wetsuit, fit is important. Also important to know your cold tolerance. I have a couple in varying thickness, but really only use my thin one most of the time. IIRC, it's 2mm, and I've used it in the Gulf down to lower 60's (with a 1mm rashguard).

For regulators, any regulator will work. A balanced regulator will work for now and later, while a cheap unbalanced reg may not be ideal as your diving gets deeper. Steer clear of the bottom of the line, and there is no need for top of the line titanium versions.

For BCDs, rent for a while. Try to rent different types (jacket, back inflate, backplate) if possible to get a better idea for what you like best.

The bulk of your $1500 will be spent on the regulator and BCD.

I'd absolutely recommend waiting for now and/or check Craigslist, Ebay, Facebook, etc. for the used market. Lots of students or newly certified divers buy a bunch of gear then never use it again. If you do end up buying used, don't use it until you've had your dive shop service (especially regulators) it, so factor that into your cost estimates.

very thorough response! Thank you for your time and input. I’ll begin to look for computers, wetsuit, and regulator! Any recommended brands?

thank you for your response! Would you recommend taking the Nitrox cert for an extra $100?

can’t wait!
If funds are limited and you don't already have a diving vacation planned to someplace where you'll be able to do more than 3 dives per day, I'd back-burner the Nitrox course. I think it's well worth doing, just not a top priority right now. You'll be limited by your air consumption rather than NDL at first, and if you end up sticking with local, shallow shore dives, you may never really need the extra bottom time Nitrox can offer.

In your shoes, I'd either rent gear for a while to figure out what you like, or buy a set after OW if you can get a good package deal and you know you want to do lots of local diving. (If you only ever dive on vacation, it may be more convenient to keep renting.) No matter what you do, you'll either waste money renting, or waste money buying something that turns out to not be quite what you want. I mostly erred on the side of wasting money by renting almost everything for months, but now I have a set of gear I'm really happy with.

The first thing I bought after mask, fins, and booties was a computer. It was a watch-style Cressi Leonardo, a little under $200, and it's...fine. Kind of big for a woman's wrist, kind of annoying with the single button that you have to press and hold for some magical interval to get the screen to light up without changing the display so you can see it at night, kind of really extremely annoying with the ascent alarm that screams if you lift your arm to take a picture. I can't really compare it to the other entry-level computers in that price range because I haven't tried them; maybe they're just as annoying on balance. I just treated myself to a Shearwater Teric, which is not at all too hard for a newbie to use but at just over a grand would be a little rich for your budget, or for anyone who isn't permanently narced. It's so cool though. Anyway, I still endorse getting a computer first, and the Cressi isn't a terrible choice.

Any recommended brands?

Meh, I’m too new to be of much value. But here is what I use........

BCD - Zeagle Ranger
Regulator - ScubaPro MK25/A700
Fins - ScubaPro SeaWing Nova
Henderson 3mm
Hollis 8mm Semi Dry

I like the stuff I use very much. Being a newb it was hard getting buoyancy quickly with the wing on the Zeagle. But probably good experience for me.

lots of other folks on here could come up with a better list based on experience.

My list (original gear and new) - not top of the line, not generally bottom of the barrel - overall it works for me right now, but I know it is subject to replacement as I get more experienced.
BCD - was Aqualung Pearl, now Hollis BP/W
Regulator - was (random rental), now titan
Fins - was Tusa split fins (yes yes I know), now various freediving fins (I love to buy new fins and the ones I take depend on the dive and conditions - plastic are the most durable, carbon fiber are super responsive, stiffer fins for currents and colder water because I have to move more weight, etc).
Wetsuit(s) - ScubaPro 7mm semi-dry, Scubapro 7mm hooded vest/topper, 1mm open cell shortie (can't remember brand - reputable one but I'd have to go downstairs to check and I'm lazy)
Computer - i300 (simple, hard to mess up, does nitrox, and I got it on huge discount), looking to upgrade to teric someday
Mask - was random tusa, now seavision (tusa is now backup mask)

The only gear I've replaced so far is the bcd. I used it and the computer during my OW training so I was extremely familiar with both bits of gear during certification. I've used the bcd multiple times since then but only for my cold water dives because it's literally too big for me if I'm not encased in heavy neoprene. I'll still use it but I wanted more options. The computer is sufficient for the diving I currently do, but I want to move into tech so need a computer that can keep up (another reason for the BP/W). The mask has been replaced because I wear glasses and was tired of not really seeing anything while diving - my previous mask is now relegated to backup status (in case my main mask gets lost or broken, etc).

This isn't a complete list of my gear, which includes cameras, boots, socks, gloves, mask straps, DSMBs, spools, etc. Diving gets expensive fast when you start buying gear - and when you start buying more gear of each type to accommodate whatever you are doing now... like 2 pairs of boots because the zippers on one pair come undone during surface swims, which is annoying, and those thick neoprene gloves are nice but impossible to put on when wet so maybe just skip them and do simple reef gloves the second dive, and a pair of neoprene socks so that one pair of full foot fins fits more tightly, and then lycra socks so the other fins don't rub and leave blisters...

As for priorities I'd say pick a computer - it doesn't need to be fancy - I personally don't worry about spending money on a newbie computer only to upgrade later because to me it is more important to be very familiar with the computer than to save money and only buy 'the right one'. At this point, you don't know what your future diving needs will be so picking that perfect one probably won't happen.
After that I'd suggest a wetsuit (quality and fit are important, don't go for just the cheapest surf wetsuit you can find on amazon) and probably a solid, reliable regulator.

Spend time figuring out what you prefer and need before making more purchases - that means dive and dive a lot. Mix it up - choose new sites and conditions, different types of diving, and different types of gear. Once you know what kind of diving you want to do and what type of gear works best for you, it'll be easier to narrow down your options before making a purchase.

Count me in the "wetsuitp first" camp.

However, I'd think about BCD before regulators if you're not getting a package deal. A BCD that fits well and has the features you want will have a bigger impact than one regulator vs. another. Regs all pretty much work the same, and any reg you rent from a reputable source should be fine for the local environment.

That said, if you end up with a BCD that's less than perfect for you, you'll notice it's shortcomings more than a less than perfect reg set.

If you are on a budget I would try stuff before buying it.
I’m not diving that long, 3.5 years/350 dives, but I replaced everything already.

When I started I did buy everything right away. Today I still use my mask, compass and regs from when I started. It’s less budget friendly that way

I would say you have all you need to take the course. HOpe you did not pay an arm or a leg for them.

Do not buy anything but mask, snorkel and fins until you are certified AND are sure you are going to continue diving. You will waste your money otherwise. Wetsuit is probably the first thing to buy, especially if you are not a normal shape.

very thorough response! Thank you for your time and input. I’ll begin to look for computers, wetsuit, and regulator! Any recommended brands?
Luckily, we are in a good area for dive shops. There are tons all over. Unfortunately, there are several that suck, so if you have a dive shop that you like, see what they carry and service. That's especially important for regulators. Honestly, it's tough to go wrong with regulators. Most companies make high quality gear. Below are some brand recommendations that I would take a look at.

Regulators: Zeagle, Atomic, Oceanic (all same company now), Aqualung are what I'd recommend. One thing to ask at the shop is about service kits. How common are they among models. I use a Zeagle because they pretty much all use the same service kit. Therefore, the chances of them not being available in the future is pretty remote.
Computers: In the past, I've used Oceanic computers, and have been very happy with them. I'm currently using a Shearwater, but that would be over budget. If I were starting today, I'd have a look at Oceanics as well as Deep 6 Excursion. The Deep 6 computer is pretty new, but looks pretty solid.
Wetsuits: Have a look at Mako & Hammerhead. I'm currently using a Hammerhead, it was reasonably priced and works well.

My shop recommendations center more around the Pinellas area, not as familiar with Tampa shops, but if you would like recommendations, feel free to drop me a PM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom