New to diving - Trip in June - looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spratman:
No local wreck diving!!!???:11: C'mon, woman....say it ain't so!!

Man, there are so many good wrecks on the south shore...I wish I could get out more, but it runs nearly $300 when I factor in the boat, tips, gas and a place to stay, for every trip....

I hope to get at least a two tanker in Cancun. Plus all the other stuff, of course. :D

I wear a 5mm when the water is 82 degrees. AND, I like to see my fins when I dive. I enjoy warm water wrecks in the Caribbean and the Keys. Jersey Shore wreck diving just doesn't hold much appeal for me. But I am gonna try the St Lawrence this summer, so you never know. There just might be a dry suit and a wreck cert in my future.... for now I'm very content with 4 or so warm water trips a year.

scubawife:
There's a site from PDC called Tortugas. It's sort of a Boca for mexican turtles :wink: 20+ all the time. But there can be a strong current there.

You're absolutely right. I dove it two days in a row back in '05. LOTS of turtles, but the current on the first day was ripping so fast that you could hear the roar in your ears. When we went back the second day, it was so slow we actually had to fin. I guess it just depends on the day....

Jersey wrecks are an acquired taste. My last trip out was middle of Sept and we dove the stolt. It was in the low 70's and I think I saw more tropicals on the wreck than in Florida.

Nothing wrong with warm water diving....I just dive what's available.

Let me know if you get down this way for a wreck trip.

Been to cozumel 4 times and will be going again in may this year. The diving can be tricky for new divers and not recommended. there can be strong current, first dive is normlly at 85 feet with lots of things to see. stick to shallow reef dives or float dives. There is plenty to see at 35ft. In the past 4 years I have been with 3 different divers that had a panic attack and tried to go balistic to the surface. It took myself and the dive instructor to get the calmed down. Drift dive have fun and relax there is a rainbow of color to enjoy

Hey Jamie,

Just curious on why they panicked?

IT does seem like the consensus is to stay at the 35 feet (which is what I prefer anyway).

So it sounds like a drift dive at teh 35 feet would be fine huh??

Have you ever been on the mainland to scuba? Someone is recommending Manchones Reef.

Scott and I dove Cozumel our first year and we both were a little intimidated. But once I got used to the current, and just let myself glide along rarely trying to swim against the current, I found these dives, while deep at times, to be very relaxing and enjoyable. Last year there we got close to a large Nurse shark:)
img0368tb8.jpg

Hey BGSNMKY --

Drift diving is great! -- But it does require some skills and certainly comfort in the water and good bouyancy control...

There's also something to be said for reef diving that allows you to stay in one place, or thoroughly examine one area....

It sounds like the recommendations that you are getting suggest that the dives off Cancun and Playa del Carmen are likely to have less current and also likely to be shallower.... Great things for beginners.

Last year I was at Cozumel with a group.... we had ripping currents.... It was great -- BUT, the newer divers certainly experienced task loading.... keeping themselves pointed in the right direction, managing buoyancy, staying with the group.... oh.. yeah... trying to look at critters...

I think you've gotten great advice.... go the conservative route (I almost choked on that word) --- Nurture your love of diving by adding new challenges slowly!!

Enjoy! I'll be there in July.

Liz

Thankd Liz...that is what we decided to do. Booked with MayanAquaDive in Cancun.

We are looking to see if there is an easy shore dive to do from Cozumel, as we will be there with 3 others that are taking a cooking class on the island for 3 hours.

Do you have any suggestions.

I also agree that Cozumel may be a bit intimidating for a first time diver. You can be challenged if you don't have your basic buoyancy skills. I went last summer during a cruise ship layover and was impressed by the current.
The visibility was the best I have ever experienced, so this made for a relaxing drift dive.
Whatever your choice, enjoy!!
http://www.scubaboard.com/images/icons/icon_lol.gif
Hey

Check this out for GREAT diving!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42GtVrlMh6I If you like what you see, and you would like to see the very best of the Meso American reef system in and around Playa del Carmen, PM me with your questions. :)

Back
Top Bottom