New to diving, new to NOLA, what next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aotus

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got my OW certification last November, and (yesterday) moved to New Orleans. I have very little equipment and not a lot of money to buy all the gear, plus I'm overweight and losing weight so purchasing some equipment now might be wasteful (hopefully won't fit for long). SO, renting would be ideal. Classes I've seen in the area take the students to florida and cost a fortune, can someone point me in the right direction for local-ish newbie diving opportunities or even just suggest what to do next?

Thanks!

Go see Dave and Sunday Delgar in Metairie at Caribbean Dive Shop regarding your questions. Tell them Frank form the Spree sent you in. They will take extra good care of you then.

I think there's a salt pit with a few inches of visibility over there, and you can drive 100 miles, get on a boat, and ride another 50 for blue water South of Louisiana (world class diving, but hard-ass getting there).

I know several Louisiana and Mississippi folks that find it more convenient and cost-effective to drive to Pensacola for their diving. I'm in Mobile, and that's what I do. and that's probably what I would do if I lived in Louisiana too.

-ap

I live on the Northshore and just recently became AOW through PADI. I plan to dive in Pensacola as that is where my local dive shop (Seal Sports) goes. They also told me that there are many locations there that you can beach dive in that area as well.

+1 on the Florida Gulf Coast. I'm biased to Panama City Beach where an inshore charter (60-80 ft deep wrecks) will cost you $80 for the charter $45 full rental package and another $20 for the DM. Air fills are only $5/tank. The best & easiest shore dive is the St. Andrews Jetties (tide dependent).

You're doing a good thing by renting before buying. Just think of it this way, you can rent 10 times at $45/each instead of buying a $450 BC that doesn't work for you. Said another way, I probably spend at least $80-100/year servicing gear so that's two days of rentals there.

My fav shop in PCB is Our Dive Charters in Panama City Beach, Florida

Dive dive diVE

I live on the Northshore and just recently became AOW through PADI. I plan to dive in Pensacola as that is where my local dive shop (Seal Sports) goes. They also told me that there are many locations there that you can beach dive in that area as well.
Pensacola Beach has a relatively new artificial Reef comprised of Reef Balls and Towers. It's about 100 yards off the beach. There is nothing but sand everywhere else off the beach. The site is at the large beach parking lot about a mile east of the Portofino Hotel/Condo complex. There is a marker on the beach. E-mail when yall are coming over here. (braveheartfusion@cox.net) BTW, Mandevile is my hometown. Have lived in Texas and Florida since Katrina. Play in a band from Baton Rouge, so I go back and forth frequently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom