New to diving need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtlutgen

New
Reaction score
i am new to diving i am currently working on my cert right now. i recently ruptured my ear drum doing surface dives because my ears could pressurize fast enough. So i have been looking at ways to help pressurize my ears. I began looking at new types of masks to help with this. I found the Pro Ear 2000 Pro Ear 2000

It claims to help with the pressure in your ears.. and i wanted to know if any one has bought it or used it and what there thoughts on it were. Any advice or insight will be greatly appreciated. Or any tips on how to get them to pressurize.

The term would be equalize, not pressurize. Descend slowly, equalizing early and often.
But a ruptured ear drum sounds pretty bad, have you seen a doctor?

yes i have seen a doctor and the told me to let it set for about seven days. I have always had problems equalizing my ears .. if i dive in to the pool 4 feet down i am in pain .. because me ears don't equalize. while in the diving course we were doing the surface dive and diving that fast kills me. cause as soon as i get deep enough i have problems with my ears but when we got on the scuba tanks and i had an air supply i was able to equalize the ears and everything. but the instructor noticed bubbles coming from my ear which he guessed ment that something had ruptured and sent me to medical and that's where i found out about the rupture.

dlndavid:
The term would be equalize, not pressurize. Descend slowly, equalizing early and often.
But a ruptured ear drum sounds pretty bad, have you seen a doctor?

jtlutgen:
yes i have seen a doctor and the told me to let it set for about seven days. I have always had problems equalizing my ears .. if i dive in to the pool 4 feet down i am in pain .. because me ears don't equalize. while in the diving course we were doing the surface dive and diving that fast kills me. cause as soon as i get deep enough i have problems with my ears but when we got on the scuba tanks and i had an air supply i was able to equalize the ears and everything. but the instructor noticed bubbles coming from my ear which he guessed ment that something had ruptured and sent me to medical and that's where i found out about the rupture.

man, that mask is quite a contraption. I've never seen one in use, or heard of them, and I imagine that it's hard to seal, and keep sealed. Then, what happens if it becomes unseated during a deep dive? My guess is that you don't need it. You just need some more practice.

are you actively trying to equalize your ears or just hoping they'll do so on their own. Equalizing, for most people, is an active action. I would recommended that you read up on the Valsalva manuever and other ear clearning techniques...all of which have been discussed widely on the board.

With that said, try equalizing your ears before even putting your head under water, then clear often on your way down. Often, it's hard to clear if you've gone to deep to fast, and rising a few feet can help. Of course, never dive with congestion....

good luck and don't give up!

Back
Top Bottom