New to Diving, going to Bora Bora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BsmokeyD

Registered
Reaction score
I am just curious, my fiance and I are going to Bora Bora in June. We are currently in an open water course. My question is this... What kind of wetsuit should we get? 1mm, 2mm, 3mm? Any Brands? has any heared of Anoka? are they any good? trying to keep it around 100.00 per person. Any help Id appreciate

I always dive a 3mm in even the warmest waters both for protection and to keep me warm. After 8-10 dives I tend to get cold so having 3mm is perfect in warm water for me. I have not been to Bora Bora but I have been the Tahiti and wore it there. If you get hot, dump some water inside it or pull it down to your waist between dives.

At 3mm, it really doesn't mater which one as long as it has good construction. The Akona brand suits are very highly thought of by people I know and many people on this board. There are many but at 100.00, Akona is a pretty solid choice IMHO.

T.J.

BTW: On the Hot Deals section there are usually some deals there too. Check it out.

in bora bora and moorea, the wife and i dove with skins.....down to 100'.....no probs...

-dan

congrats! have a good time!

I have to agree with tjmills. Even in warm waters, I wear a 2.3 mil (close to 3). After doing multiple dives over multiple days, you will start to feel the difference. Haven't been to French Poly; but I just got back from Belize. After a day of diving, I was comfortable. Other people on the boat who arrogantly wore no protection "because the water is so warm" were shivering by the end of our last dive.
JR

"New to Diving, going to Bora Bora"

I can not post all the bad things that I said when I read that title!!

"That is right up there with.. WOW I won the 100 million dollar Lottery.. I have never even bought a ticket before.. I got this in a birthday card!"

"A hole in one?" It seemed pretty easy to me...is it really that hard?"

"A royal flush? Is that good?"

New to Diving.. going to Bora Bora.. maybe a stop to Truk Lagoon.. Kona...

Don't mind me I am just Jealous.. :)

It's hard to say what you need, everyone is different as you can see from the few posts already. It depends on how tolerant you are of cold. People from colder climates usually need less that people who live in warm places. (You might fill out your profile so people know where you are from.) "Natural insulation" also plays a part.

A 3mm will obviously be good down to a lower temperature and it's true you can let water in to cool off, at the same time part of the attraction of warm water for many people is wearing as little neoprene as possible. I do think a full suit is a better idea than a shortie for protection, whatever the thickness.

We went to Bora Bora a few years ago on a sailing trip. Did not dive, but the water there is very,very warm even hot, especially in the lagoons. You had to get out of the water to cool off. There is very little air conditioning anywhere. I would worry about overheating, especially before the dive.

Bora Bora a great place. Most of the hotels have OTW (over the water bungalows) which have glass floors that you can see right into the water. Really cool.

Hi, never been to where you are going. But, if cost is an issue for a wetsuit then check out scubal.com and their TrippleL wetsuits. Very low cost for off the rack or custom fit. I have a 7mm full with hood for just a little over $100 with shipping. Took awhile to get it but worth the wait. Not the best suit in the world, just a good suit for the money. The thinest they go is 3mm.

Back
Top Bottom