New to diving (and this forum)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

efpef

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself.

I'm Efrat, a PhD student studying in Montreal. I got my AOW (+nitrox specialty) certifications this summer in Eilat (Red Sea).

The first time I ever went diving was in Feb 2011 in Cuba (not the most safety-conscious place, but great people), where I did a scuba diver course. When I went home for vacation this summer I did a proper PADI course and got hooked on diving. For the first time in my life (and I've been doing yoga for many years) I felt an ultimate zen inner peace feeling. It was the most amazing this I've ever experienced and ever since then I can't wait for my next dive.

Unfortunately, Montreal doesn't allow many diving possibilities (there's a quarry somewhere nearby). But, in a few weeks I'll be going on my first ever diving vacation in Cozumel and Playa del Carmen!! :)

I also got myself some gear - some of which was bought after reading a lot of comments in this forum. So I have the Apollo bio fins (tested in the pool so far and love them), Oceanic reg and octo, 5mm wetsuit (nothing fancy - Neosport), and a Suunto Vyper dive computer. I'll wait a bit until I can afford a good BCD (I have no idea if I should go with an integrated weight one or not).

That's it. Looking forward to sharing and learning more about this wonderful hobby.
Thanks for your time :)
:snorkel2:

Efpef
Welcome to scuba board it's a great place to meet people and learn things. And welcome to the dive world. It will bring you years of enjoyment and be safe

Cheers
Michael

welcome aboard!!!!!!
just a bit south of you is some great lake champlain diving
and a bit west is some of the best st. lawrence diving!
enjoy and keep learning!
have fun
yaeg

Hi Efrat,
Welcome to Scubaboard and to Montreal.

And let me correct a misconception - there is actually some GREAT diving near Montreal. Ok, not in Montreal itself, unless you count pools. And yes, the quarry is a bit dull and very, very cold. However, there is some amazing diving in the St Lawrence itself! It is estimated that between Cornwall (just 45 mins west of Montreal) and Kingston there are over 300 shipwrecks in the river. Plus some pretty cool submerged villages and locks where the old seaway used to run.

The great thing is that because the river is fed by runoff from the Great Lakes, it is pretty warm in summer. August - September the water temp of St Lawrence River in and around the 1000 Islands is in the mid-70s.

The scuba diving in the 1000 Islands, where we dive every weekend from May to October, is known as some of the best freshwater diving in the world. Don't miss it while you are here!

If you want to know more, we'd be happy to tell you all about it. We love talking about diving almost as much as we love diving.

Cheers
Diane from Action Scuba

efpef,

I just saw a documentary about the Gardens of the Queen in Cuba. Did you dive there? I also love yoga and obviously diving. Headed to Cabo San Lucas to dive the Socorro Islands in March... can't wait! 74 days but who's counting. :D

Back
Top Bottom