New to diving...and this forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buckshot

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello to all. Well, I literally took the plunge....just got certified last month, and I really like the sport. Only 7 dives, but I have already registered to become an advanced diver, and so I am looking forward to the next 18 dives.
As a novice to this sport, I do have some questions. These are from a real newbie, so please be kind...
I am looking to go ahead and purchase my equipment....I already have fins, mask and snorkle. I have been looking at BC's, reg, and dive computer online and in a local dive shop. The folks at the local shop are great.....that's where I got certified. But, they have a somewhat limited offering, and their prices are high(as compared to what I've seen online). My head's spinning at all the different manufacturers, and I cannot tell who's good and who's not, so I will defer to the opinions here of those much more experienced than I. Can anyone recommend a site where I can purchase what I need and not break the bank? I've looked at a few already...leisurepro and scuba.com to name a couple. It seems like most offer packages with what I need at prices that are attractive. I just can't decide what manufacturer to go with. The shop I go to has Scubapro, and they seem to be on the upper end of the price spectrum. I've seen a couple of packages by Mare, but I don't know anything about them.
I have considered buying used equipment, but I am not comfortable with purchasing something my life will depend on from someone I do not know.

Where do you plan on doing your dives?

Dear Buckshot,

Good to have more buddies who fall in love with the sport :)

Check Aqualung & Oceanic, you might find the price more reasonable

Where do you plan on doing your dives?

Mostly off the coast of SC to spearfish up to 120', and lake dives. Warm water only....not really planning on technical, deep water, or cavern diving.
I don't mind paying a little more...I know this is not a sport to expect to buy equipment on the cheap. I just would like to get the most bang for my buck.

With only 7 dives under belt, can I ask why you are so eager to purchase equipment already? I'd recommend getting a few more dives under your belt and get the opportunity to check (rent) different types of equipment.

Adam

You might consider craigslist or another source for used equipment from people who get into the sport and right back out again, thus getting like-new equipment. Then you would want to take EVERYTHING to your local dive shop to get serviced. That is the #1 way to keep yourself safe. Stay on top of servicing your equipment. Granted, this coming from a new diver as well. But I wouldn't try any equipment without just paying the money to make sure you are safe.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

To be honest, not too many people read the posts in the Introduction and Greet section, so your questions will not be seen by too many people. If you scroll down the page, you will find a lot of other forums, including a huge section on gear. You can find a lot of answers to your questions simply by reading what others have asked before you, and you can ask your questions again yourself.

With only 7 dives under belt, can I ask why you are so eager to purchase equipment already? I'd recommend getting a few more dives under your belt and get the opportunity to check (rent) different types of equipment.

Adam

After some consideration, I will most likely rent until I finish the advanced classes. Right now, I love it....I don't really see that changing. I am still in the research phase right now, and don't plan on purchasing before I have at least 25 dives. Just doing my due diligence and trying to sort through all the manufacturers and thier offerings for when I do buy.
Boulderjohn, I'll post this in another forum where it'll get more views--thanks for the pointer.
I appreciate the advice so far.

Research is great! No doubt you will find the most knowledgable divers here on SB.

Might I recommend Leisure Pro's online magazine Aquaviews.net for some reading. Since LP deals with just about all major diving equipment companies you can find good unbiased advice.

Something I forgot to mention and I'm not sure how many local dive stores do this but LP has a trade-in (or more correctly trade-up) program so you don't have to break the bank on one shot!

Enjoy the rest of your course!

Safe diving! :)

Adam

Hello and welcome to the board. I would agree with you continuing to explore equipment. You might find that it is helpful to start purchasing your gear. Renting for 25 dives will cost you as much as it would to buy some of your equipment. There are a large amount of posts on buying from your LDS versus online. Online is less expensive, but your LDS lives on equipment sales. I might suggest asking them if they can come closer to the on line price to see if they will meet it. They just might and you get the equipment and they get the sale and you get local service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom