New to diving and the Monterey Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BriCyn

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently moved from the east coast to the west coast to work in the field of marine biology and I volunteer at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
I have always had an affinity for diving and am slowly saving up enough money to start! I am in process of buying my wetsuit and personal gear and was wondering if there are any certified instructors living in the Monterey Bay that wouldn't mind taking on a very enthusiastic couple on a small budget for basic certification.
I am very happy to be part of this community and can't wait to get my feet wet!

Thank you,
Cindy

Welcome aboard here and hopefully to the underwater world soon!!!

Check out your new local forum and join in the fun here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/norcal/

Thank you Max, the shops are a bit more pricey but I will check them out. Happy diving!

Maybe you ought to post what your budget is that you are thinking of to get both of you certified and see if any independent instructors would be able to meet your needs.

Welcome to Scubaboard and soon diving :)

If I could offer a small piece of advice, learn to dive a drysuit fairly quickly. We started my partner in a drysuit or she would have never done dive #2. The water gets chilly here, but the diving is phenomenal.

Peter beat me to it...if you haven't bought a wetsuit yet, think about a drysuit straight away.

Oh, and welcome. Check out the NorCal section.

Welcome to the Pacific coast (and ScubaBoard)... some incredible diving up your way

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for all the replies and the advice on the drysuits, I will definitely check them out! As far as my budget, we can afford about $200 a person for the certifications, I hope that's not too low but it's the best we can do! Thank you again for all your support, I really feel welcomed into this community :)

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for all the replies and the advice on the drysuits, I will definitely check them out! As far as my budget, we can afford about $200 a person for the certifications, I hope that's not too low but it's the best we can do! Thank you again for all your support, I really feel welcomed into this community :)

OK, this is what I was suspecting. I pretty much figured the recommendations on dry suits were out of the park.

Even the 200 will have a hard time. I would suggest you keep saving.

The best all inclusive price I have seen is 349
All Necessary Gear: Mask, Fins, Snorkel, Wet Suit, Hood, Gloves, Booties, BCD(vest), Regulator Set Up

All Necessary Course Materials: Use of Book, Video and Tables

All Necessary Pool Sessions: 8 Hours Plus in our onsite pool

Four Open Water Ocean Dives: Held over a Saturday and Sunday

PIC Personal Identification Card

15% Discount on all shop products for 90 days from enrollment

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom