New to diving and need gear help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to this forum and new to diving. Actually, I begin my diving class June 21st for open water diving certification. I plan on eventually becoming a master diver since I will need it for my career in marine biology that I am pursuing. I am researching all the gear I need and I really need some help. I've been looking at different scuba masks and I would like any opinions on the best scuba mask to get. I know, also, that just because someone likes one mask, doesn't mean the other person will like the same mask. I would, still however, love any input on what you guys have tested out.

Bottom line, if money isn't an option, what are some of the best quality and most comfortable scuba masks that have large visibility?

Thank you for all your help!

Bottom line, if money isn't an option, what are some of the best quality and most comfortable scuba masks that have large visibility?

First let me welcome you to ScubaBoard!

None of those mask traits are as important as the fit. A good fit insures little or no leaks. After you find one that fits and does not leak, those other issues fall away.:wink:

In diving, simpler is often better. Colorful, hyped-up masks with high price tags aren't necessarily a sign of great performance. I have been very happy with Dive-Rite basic black 2-lens mask, low volume, about $89.

First let me welcome you to ScubaBoard!

None of those mask traits are as important as the fit. A good fit insures little or no leaks. After you find one that fits and does not leak, those other issues fall away.:wink:

Firstly it's great to hear that you will soon be learning to dive, YOUR GOING TO LOVE IT !!!

I'm 100% with Dave, Fit and comfort are the 2 major things you are looking for. In addition to the previous I tend to advise pressing on the top of the mask to make sure there is no problem with the mask bumping against the bridge of your nose. If the mask is too close to your face once you get underwater it can sometimes cause a pressure spot and really dig in, which I'm sure you can imagine is unpleasant. Pressing on the mask can give an early indication on wether you may experiance this when you dive. A leaky mask is no fun at all and will certainly hamper the fun and enjoyment of your upcoming training. See if your local dive store will let you try the mask in a pool or at the very least in your own bath tub just to see if it leaks.

:)

Thank you for the welcomes and advice! I'm definitely excited about diving. I can't wait to see some really cool stuff. I'm going to have to look at some other dive shops in town so I can compare different types of masks.

Without a doubt, fit.

Also, if you wear glasses or contacts I highly recommend getting prescription inserts for the mask (I wear glasses).

I use the Atomic Sub-Frame and am very happy with it. Like RJP's experience with the Frameless, I really like the low volume and comfort. Absolutely no comparison to my (now backup) Aqua Lung clunker, which I would go ahead and toss but it's a prescription mask so I'll keep it around till my next eye exam.

Try on as many masks and styles as you can before making a decision. There's a lot of great gear out there...

I'm a big fan of Atomic Aquatics Frameless masks...

http://www.dddive.com/images/atomic_less.gif

See my review of this mask here:

Atomic Aquatics Frameless Mask at www.DiveSeekers.com

In short it is ultra-comfortable, and the low-volume design puts the glass closer to your eyes giving you a greater field-of-view and making it easier to clear than many other masks.

Oh no!!! I have Atomic masks too. How are we going to argue over that?:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom