New to Bonaire questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoplight Pizza is a good landmark for Pasa Bon Pizza but don't try to find it under that name! They really are the only stoplight on the island and sooo worth a stop. Everything is homemade and fresh and the owners are great.

I knew I could count on Scuba Board divers to provide helpful information.
Thanks for the suggestions and best wishes.
My previous trips have been to Cozumel and Belize and now I'm really looking forward to Bonaire, especially after all I've heard and read about it.
I must say I've been spoiled a bit riding the drift currents in Cozumel but I look foreward to the pristine reefs in Bonaire even if it means I gotta kick more.
Thanks
Rex

Don't miss the Rose Inn in Rincon. Try the goat or iguana stew. The Bonairian meatballs are primo. Ask Malfina how many Polars you can get for $20. BUT! before you go there do a night dive at Ol Blue. Why am I doing ths PBD PBD!!!!!!!!!!

For "mom and pop" type restaurants, which we call "snacks" on Bonaire, I would also like to recommend "Mi Banana, as well as El Fagon Latino..they have great soup, Julio's right in town is excellent for a burger, or local food like goat, chicken and beef stew, make sure to ask for it 1/2 and 1/2 and you will get a small salad and 1/2 rice and 1/2 fries. Maiky Snack, which is in the middle of nowhere, (on the road to Sorobon) is great. I also second Rose Inn...IMHO, the coldest beers in town!

Also, Tuesday night is Gibi's night...he serves family style meals at his house...now talk about mom and pop.... EXCELLENT!

Liz

Everybody already answered pretty much everything else. The mosquitos can be a pain down here. They aren't like what you are used to up around the Great Lakes. They're small, you don't feel them bite, but you do itch afterwards. The good news is you don't usually get a big welt that lasts for a day or so like from the big mosquitos up north and the itching is usually gone in a half hour or so. There's a local bug spray called OSI that's real good, has twice the Deet and cost half the price of Off.

We also just got back last weekend and the water ranged from 77 to 81F most of the time it was 79F. Our 3mm full suits and thin hoods were ok but a 5mm full would have been ideal. Feb-March are the colder months, one benefit is the amount of plankton in the water, there were small fish everywhere. Locals kept saying watchout for the big stuff, last week they had Humpbacks visit.

Pasa Bon Pizza no longer has the only stoplight, Ribs Factory across from Karels Bar also has one. Restaurants on Bonaire are generally good.

A lot of people get badly bitten overnight, our tip is to nuke the room with fly spray before you go out for dinner.

Have a great trip.

My two favorites are Gibi's and Rose Inn. You can't go wrong with these two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom