New to Bonaire and need to know the ropes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't worry about currency exchange. Everyone takes US dollars. Your change will be in guilders (NAf), but it's absolutely no big deal. We never had a problem with places taking credit cards, either. Just a non-issue.

The ease of the place will spoil you. Cell phones don't work (buy a local phone card to call the US).

English is spoken almost everywhere, along with Dutch. The people are very friendly and helpfull. It's far and away my favorite "quick" place to dive.

Lucky you!!! You have a real treat ahead of you. Bonaire is our favorite. The best nuggets of advice to carry with you are those concerning entry and exit. The Porter book tells you where but not how. A few tips:

Hard-soled booties are essential.

Many sites South of the airport have a hard coral shelf and a "step-off" soon after entering. Just keep your BC full, stand still for a moment as waves strike you, and be careful not to step on the little urchins in the cracks and crevices (for their sake!).

You'll find there are "routes" that get you deeper, quicker. You'll soon learn to spot them.

As soon as the water is over your knees make sure those fins straps are ready, lay down, don your fins quickly, and swim away.

On the way back in there may be a little surge. Let it carry you in as far as you can. Just relax, don't fight it and don't stand up before you are thigh-deep. I've arranged my secondary and computer so I can swim in to 2 foot depth. I never want to step on living coral, plants or critters.

It may seem silly but you might want to practice donning and doffing your fins when you are over a shallow sandy spot.

Another tip: after your initial orientation at the dive operator you'll do a "check-out" dive. This used to be a monitored skill check. Not any more. Now it's just you, on your own, determining the right amount of weight. It's over when you have your lead and STINAPA tag.

Fin touches are a big source of coral damage from divers. Try to shift your lead higher if your fins are "dragging" when you stop.

You might want to try Hooker in two phases: one dive to swim the top from the stern (good photos) to the bow (where the real name is welded on the hull). After you get your get some confidence (and know how long your tank lasts at depth) explore more of the ship on a second dive. The bottom is 100' deep on the deck side and it seems like the wire coral is ten feet longer every year. Exploring the deck and holds is a long deep dive as you gawk at the wreck and avoid touching "stuff".

Take an extra pair of sandals or slippers for wearing in your room. Leave your sandy shoes at the door.

Beginners use less air when they are relaxing and having fun. And you are going to have a lot of fun!

A couple of thoughts. Hilma Hooker is one of the more difficult entry/exits. Get a little experience in first with other shore dives.

Wear socks inside your booties. Your tootsies will thank you for it. Otherwise sand will chew 'em up.

To give you something to visualize, a typical dive plan for me is to swim out to a depth of 45 +/- feet and swim one direction. When half your air is gone, come up to 20 +/- feet and swim back. Go back to truck, swap out tanks, follow same plan in the other direction. Also, pay real attention to where you enter through the "rock" as you get into the water. You'll want to find the same spot when you return. Can make a world of difference.

Sorry for being lazy and not reading all the posts but you MUST get Shore Diving Made Easy by Susan Porter. This island is so user friendly..all your concerns will evaporate once you take your first shore dive. Do a guided dive the first time if need be, then take off on your own. Easy peasy...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom