New To All The Old Issues On Dc1400

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Recently bought a DC1400 after I managed to loose my Canan during a kayak incident.
Came back from my dive and didn't enjoy using the camera setup today, have the camera and strobe flash unit. I did love the buoyancy it had underwater but that was about it. Had trouble with the shutter lag and not knowing all the keys and to toggle between the settings. Most of my subjects moved away before I could make the shot and then I still need to learn the flash settings etc.
Not going to give up on it and will try a few nore sessions. Practice makes perfect they say.

When trying to get a focus lock on a moving target, there's definitely going to be a lot of misses. But, as longs it's not a macro shot (not likely if it's something moving anyway), try switching the focus to infinity. It greatly reduces the shutter lag. As far as toggling the settings, yes, practice makes perfect. Luckily, those things can be practiced on dry land. I would suggest getting the common adjustments down pat before you get wet with it again to minimize the time wasted fumbling around with it. Once you get used to it, I promise you that you'll find it to be one of the most user friendly cameras out there. If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll try to be of help.

Had trouble with the shutter lag and not knowing all the keys and to toggle between the settings. Most of my subjects moved away before I could make the shot and then I still need to learn the flash settings etc.

Check the firmware version on sealife website. If yours is a pre-2014 (IIRC) stock, f/w update should help with shutter lag.

When you lock the camera in the housing, check the operation of zoom lever. I had it sticking on one dive and it scrolled up past the "dive" and into the "surface" setting. Messed up a portrait of a very pretty stonefish. :(

Other than that, as you say: practice. You'll start getting good shots out of it after a while.

Run the firmware update thanks for the info, will try it out during the week when I get a chance to go snorkeling a bit (if I get the time)

Back
Top Bottom