New Texas Diver looking for Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uthrom

Registered
Reaction score
So I couldn't decide if this went in here, or in the new divers forum - I'll take a chance.

I'm a fairly new diver (10 dives), but have absolutely been bitten by the bug.

The problem: The friends I got certified with (in preparation for a trip to Cayman), can't afford to keep diving, so I'm more-or-less left buddy-less (for now).

So, I'm looking for people in the Austin area who don't mind doing a few fun dives with a relatively new diver - I'm not looking for a babysitter, but I do welcome suggestions for improvement, etc. (I guess I'll warn you ahead of time - I still need some work on air consumption :)

Also becoming more interested in hog/dir ways of doing things - have been interestedly reading lots of threads on SB. (I have a huge appetite for knowledge) :)

Thanks,
- d.

Welcome to the board. I am in your same shoes and have found the folks on this board to be extremely nice and helpful. I would be surprised if you couldn't find someone to tag along with here.

uthrom:
So I couldn't decide if this went in here, or in the new divers forum - I'll take a chance.

The problem: The friends I got certified with (in preparation for a trip to Cayman), can't afford to keep diving, so I'm more-or-less left buddy-less (for now).

You came to the right place -- welcome to Scubaboard! You should have no trouble finding dive buddies here in the Texas Swamp Divers section. Let us know if we can help you out in any way. :)

Welcome to the addiction! :) You will be able to find many dive buddies here. I may have to look you up in the future and come over and dive Austin...Houston dive sites are a little limited. :wink:

ParamedicDiver1:
...Houston dive sites are a little limited. :wink:

Listen to you.....there's Buffalo Bayou, Chocolate Bayou, Offut's Bayou, the well-known 'Clear Lake'.....how could you say such a thing!

Come out and dive with my latest PSD class. We'll teach you to paint your mask brown (might as well), and dive by Braille! :D

Rob

My wife and I are in Austin, feel free to PM me anytime you're looking to go diving and maybe we can meet up.

uthrom:

So, I'm looking for people in the Austin area who don't mind doing a few fun dives with a relatively new diver - I'm not looking for a babysitter, but I do welcome suggestions for improvement, etc. (I guess I'll warn you ahead of time - I still need some work on air consumption :)

Also becoming more interested in hog/dir ways of doing things - have been interestedly reading lots of threads on SB. (I have a huge appetite for knowledge) :)

Thanks,
- d.

I am busy for the next couple of weeks but I will stay in touch. Come to the Dive World Club get together every third Thursday at Fajita Wharehouse on 620. I think that is the name of the place. It's in the strip mall closer towards 183 from Dive World. Great people and they will take great care of you. My schedule will allow me to dive in the middle of the week IF I am home from a trip.

uthrom:

Thanks,
- d.
Welcome to the board. I go diving in Lake Travis at least once a month with a couple of friends. PM me if you're interested.

Enrique

BigJetDriver69:
Listen to you.....there's Buffalo Bayou, Chocolate Bayou, Offut's Bayou, the well-known 'Clear Lake'.....how could you say such a thing!

Come out and dive with my latest PSD class. We'll teach you to paint your mask brown (might as well), and dive by Braille! :D

Rob

LOLOLOLOLOL :D

uthrom:

Thanks,
- d.

uthrom,

I'll take you up on the offer. However, I'm in Qatar (Persian Gulf) at the moment and will be here until maybe December (no later though). But, when I get back, I'll give you a shout if you're interested. My style is more towards DIR than not. I dive a back plate and wing, 7' primary hose, alternate on necklace and follow a quite a bit of the philosophy. I just don't envision myself doing any hard core cave diving. ...easy, wide-open caverns, yes. I haven't been diving at Lake Travis but would like to and I'm short on buddies around Houston. I have no problem making the drive over to Austin. I like to dive as much as possible.

I've got a pair of big 119 cu. ft. tanks. You could take advantage of using one while we dive so that can help you get some more bottom time.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom