New tech diver seeks computer advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding Heliox, it was just an example. I don't know if I'll ever have reason to dive it. I'm really just trying to say I can't anticipate all of the types of technical diving I might like to try or number/type of gases I might breathe as I become more experienced. When joking around the other day, I was teasing a dive buddy that first someone said I might like diving, so I took a class & bought some gear, and suddenly I was diving the Rhone, and the next thing you know I will be diving the Andrea Doria. I'm not any where near ready for that, but I certainly open to some day trying more challenging dives when I have the requisite training and experience.

Thanks again to all for your helpful thoughts and ideas. So far I am clear on the need for a BT & good planning, and appreciate dbulmer's thoughts on taking it easy. I will probably take some time to do more research on the Liquivision X1 and Shearwater Predator since those seem to be the most appreciated by the folks I have spoken with online & in person. If anyone is aware of any particular shortcomings of either, I'd appreciate a post.

The only thing that will be timeless is a bottom timer and software/tables. Computers, even upgradable ones, generally have a product life of about ~2-4yrs. I.e. first generation X1 ate batteries so they came out with a new version etc.

The reality is its easy to spend as much on consumables for the dives in a year as it is on a computer - even a ~$1200+ one. Drysuits, gas, fuel, charters, and catheters!

With <99 dives, not really understanding heliox and gas choices, not having an instructor, and not having much in the way of a concrete objective; I suspect you might want to wait on "tech" computers for a few dives/years.

Wrecks are generally a squareish profile. Bottom timers and tables will work fine[-].[/-] assuming you know how to plan gas consumption, nitrogen loading/off-gassing, and 02 exposure for a multi-level tech dive.

There - fixed it for you.

:eyebrow:

Get a computer, or at minumum V-Planner, I-Deco, or some sort of software to allow you to effectively plan multi-level dives.
Not all wreck dives are square. In fact, few of the really interesting ones are...

Nippo Maru
Nippo%20Maru%2001.gif

Depth
Superstructure 100 ft. 30 m.
Deck 130 ft. 40 m.
Bottom 165 ft. 50 m.

USS Algol
uss_algol_sketch_1.gif

Depth
Superstructure 70 ft.
Deck 110 ft.
Bottom 130 ft.

Stolt Dagali

stolt_dagali_sketch.jpg

Depth
Top 70 ft.
Holds/Passageways 80-120 ft.
Bottom 130 ft.

......If you really need/want a "tech" computer there are really only 2 options.
1)Shearwater
2)Liquivision.
Why not the Suunto Helo2?

.....Not all wreck dives are square. In fact, few of the really interesting ones are...
The USS Oriskany is another example ....
Depth
Superstructure ~70 ft.
Bottom ~220 ft.

.....USS Algol
uss_algol_sketch_1.gif
Do You have detailed deck plans so we can add her to our simulator ?

Alberto (aka eDiver)

CaverDave: Thanks for your implied [but not rude :)] concern about the acceleration of my dive training. Having seen some others fly through class after class without pause or practice, I understand that isn't generally a great idea and that you need to practice and be consistently competent at one thing before jumping to the next. I'll check out the X1s online to see what I can find out.

"concern" idunno - mostly curious possibly jealous :wink:
Lots of people doing things way over my head and a whole lot faster than I... just took me by surprise to see someone in helium with less than 100 dives (though also coupled with large desire of wishing I were ready for it... )

I don't own an X1 but dove with some buddies that do. Could read their computer from 5' away while diving in Florida. Even nicer if/when the lights went out...

One buddy made pretty decent suggestion on the X1. Don't buy used. Or at least if you do be prepared to buy software for it. Think of the X1 like your home pc- - purchase the PC and then purchase the software.

I'm still "voting" for the BT similar to others... but will admit to recently carrying computer (duo) as a mental back up... :) Guess worthy mention is BT requiring some "focus time" on both awareness, dive tables, computer modeling etc... wouldn't suggest it as a "read on the internet" kind of thing.
Dave

ohhh and for at least part of my mental perspective for why BT

If faced with a choice of spending $1,000 on "X" or $200 on "Y" leaving $800'ish to go diving I've pretty consistenly gone for going diving... If you can do both then all the more kudos. :)

if you saw my drysuit this philosophy would become apparent...

Being hypoxic trimix certed ....... I use 2 Dive Rite Duo's and a written pre computer generated dive plan (Deco Planner), with several contingencies plans, and carry appropriate slates for the dive. Know reason to spend mega bucks on trimix computers.....also I am a deep O/W and wreck diver. Not interested in caving here in the USA. The mega bucks goes for the gases and charters. :)

Get a computer, or at minumum V-Planner, I-Deco, or some sort of software to allow you to effectively plan multi-level dives.
Not all wreck dives are square. In fact, few of the really interesting ones are...

A bottom timer, brain, and tables work too yanno. Seriously, whomever thinks you <can't> multilevel a dive with just a bottom timer doesn't really know what they are talking about, we do it all the time here and we're not getting bent any more or less than average.

A bottom timer, brain, and tables work too yanno. Seriously, whomever thinks you <can't> multilevel a dive with just a bottom timer doesn't really know what they are talking about, we do it all the time here and we're not getting bent any more or less than average.

What table do you use for 30min at 150FSW?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom