New tech diver seeks computer advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TEArrington

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm new to tech diving and am considering purchasing a new dive computer. I'd like advice (flame and rant free if possible) from some more experienced folks. I got some really nice advice from folks at my LDS, and I'd just like to see if a larger audience has anything else to say.

Here are a few things about me that I'd like you to consider before giving me advice on dive computers for technical diving:
- I prefer to follow more conservative algorithms as I am not in the best shape and middle aged. I've only been diving a couple of years, and started out with a Cobra Suunto. While most of my dive buddies dive Cochran or something more liberal, I am not convinced that is the right choice for me. At minimum, I'd like to be able to choose to be more conservative.
- I am Nitrox certified and in the Trimix and advanced Deco classes. I anticipate trying other gas mixes (Heliox) after I become more experienced when they are needed to meet a dive objective. Ideally I think I would like to be able to change gases at will during a dive.
- I've done the cavern class and will probably do a cave class next year. Mostly I love shipwrecks, and deep shipwrecks are the primary reason I'd like to do technical diving.
- I have not yet tried a rebreather, so I have no knowledge of whether I will one day want to or not.

My goal in determining what dive computer to purchase is to get something that works very well for me now, and that will work for me for at least a few years to come. I purchased all my own gear at the start of my recreational diving experience, which I think was a great choice. But I didn't anticipate at that time that some day I might want to be a technical diver, and so gear that's less than two years old doesn't really work for my new approach. I'd like to avoid buying stuff now and wishing I had something different in six months. If there is any other information you need to know to recommend a computer, please let me know. So far, the one I've seen that might work best is the Shearwater Predator, but I am not 100% convinced yet.

Thanks to all the great divers out there willing to lend a helping hand or a word of advice to newer divers.

I would get a cheap bottom timer. You'll eventually want a 21w HID, drysuit, multiple stages, dedicated trimix doubles, scooters, etc. Florida caves are extremely simple to keep track of depth for table use, and the money is just better spent elsewhere IMO.

Is your Cobra a wrist mount?

If I'm not mistaken it already has gauge mode so you could use it as a DG/BT for now. Don't know about mixed gas computers but you should probably replace the I3 first as it will become more of a barrier "tech wise" than the lack of a mixed gas computer. I'm not sure if they come in pink :D
Just looked again. It appears the cobra is a console.

you are in a tri mix class and using a Cobra? and likewise have less than 100 dives?

I am not Tri mix so my input may be skewed/lacking.
I've come to appreciate having and using a BT and diving tables/ratio deco. Particularly if you are concerned about wanting to be more conservative- - relatively easy to add stops etc.
If keeping mentally track of where you are at is a potential issue then you may be correct in going to computer.
Basic relatively inexpensive and relatively conservative 2 gas nitrox computer is the diverite duo

Have dove with a couple people with the X1's. Very easy to read and can handle wide spectrum of gases. If I had the cash would probably go that route. Seems appealing to have "control" on what dive program it is running.

One normal thing I will usually advise is to "try before you buy" and to make sure you are aware of where/why any suggestions are coming from (i.e. is it the best computer because it is the only one the suggester used or they sell it or...).

Dave

I use a uwatec bottom timer and "ratio deco". Never had a "tech" computer and don't see the point, although I do have an old version of decoplanner and a new version of V-planner I can reference if I feel the need.

I would ask your trimix instructor which units are acceptable for your class and your specific goals/objectives.

Thanks to all for your thoughts so far. UCFdiver, good call on the BT for sure. A few clarifications:

DaleC: You are right. I bit that bullet last night & bought a back plate & some nice DIN regs. Not pink, but still pretty snazzy. I posted the I3 for sale in classifieds - it's been good to me, so I want it to be adopted by a nice diver.

CaverDave: Thanks for your implied [but not rude :)] concern about the acceleration of my dive training. Having seen some others fly through class after class without pause or practice, I understand that isn't generally a great idea and that you need to practice and be consistently competent at one thing before jumping to the next. I am comfortable doing a really thorough dive plan for deco diving. I can put my Cobra in gauge mode, grab a backup BT and I'm good to go. What has me wondering about the need for a better suited computer is that I will often be diving a mix of technical and recreational dives in the same trip, even in the same day on upcoming dive trips. So, once I put that Cobra in gauge mode I am forced to specifically plan on paper every dive for the entire trip, when I really would like to "just dive" the shallow rec dives with a general dive plan. Maybe that's not a reasonable thing to do, and if so I appreciate knowing that. I can plan every dive for the whole week, but I guess having a computer is something I'm used to and feels more comfortable. I know it's a tool but shouldn't be a crutch.

I'll check out the X1s online to see what I can find out.

I would agree that what you buy for a gauge is going to depend somewhat on how you are trained and how you are going to manage your decompression. But if your instructor/agency uses V-planner (a common decompression software choice) the Liquivision X1 is kind of an obvious choice. That way, what you run for tables on your laptop will match what your computer is thinking -- and you can actually preplan VPlanner dives on the X1, as the entire functional software is there.

I will also say that, for someone who is middle-aged, the ability to change font size on the X1 is a great thing. The primary reason I own one is because I can read it without bifocals, which to me, is a safety thing.

Mostly I love shipwrecks, and deep shipwrecks are the primary reason I'd like to do technical diving.

I anticipate trying other gas mixes (Heliox) after I become more experienced

Wrecks are generally a square profile. Bottom timers and tables will work fine.

If you really need/want a "tech" computer there are really only 2 options.
1)Shearwater
2)Liquivision.

Who dives Heliox?

To the OP,
I am not a techie but if I were I'd be just using a bottom timer as Rjack suggests. One thing I did notice from your post is that you are middle aged and not as fit as you once were. From my own personal point of view I don't think I'd be wanting to mix a big dive and a recreational dive on the same day - I'd rather do the big dive and enjoy the bottom time and then perhaps skip the recreational dive for another day. I suspect this would be make the dive planning easier and be easier on the old bones.
Just a thought !

I have an X1 and love it for reasons Lynn said. It's expensive, although cheaper than it used to be, and if you're happy using Buhlmann with gradient factors, the Shearwater is cheaper and has a nice display too. Whatever you get, I'd recommend a copy of Deco for Divers by Mark Powell to go along with it--Amazon has it in stock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom