New Tax proposed on Bonaire Visitors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
See attached report from Bonaire.nu.
$50 per person per year....good for multiple visits during the year.
Not as bad as it seems; the room tax and car rental taxes would be dropped.
At Buddy Dive, for example, the room tax is $6.50 per day and the car tax is $1.13 per day, so a 7-day trip is $53.41. A $50 tax would actually save you money, especially for longer or multiple trips.
Here's the catch: apparently much of the housing that visitors use in Bonaire is NOT currently paying the daily room tax, so the point of the new tax is to catch those visitors currently not "seen." You guys WILL be paying more.

Attachments

• Bonaire wants tourism tax of 50 dollars per person -.pdf
    313.9 KB · Views: 96
Now what is going to be the definition of a tourist.
If I go to the Netherlands to stay with my family, I don't need to pay tourist taxes, but when they visit me -and stay at my place-, now they do...

In most island locations where they depend on tourist dollars they have a tax that you pay. This is their main source of income and if you want to go to these places and not experience poor island infrastructure, poorly protected reefs, thefts, then you have to some money. In the grand scheme of things $50 is noise for trip expenses. Raja Ampat is way, way more - like 4 times more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom