New Tank Hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had one of our local shops do that to a buddy of mine... she bought a new cylinder online, then they hit her for a $20 vis, $25 O2 cleaning ("because they might have used silicone on the valve threads"), charged her $5 to install the valve, required a $12 nitrox wrap (at a GUE shop, rofl), and tried to charge her another $5 to put the sticker on. They made it clear they were nickel and diming her because she bought online and also tried to blame me for encouraging her to do so (which I didn't).

Then to add insult to injury... they hot filled the cylinder (it cooled to 2900) and charged her as if it were a 3442 PSI fill.

I spoke up about it - got banned from that dive shop. Bought my own compressor instead.

F em.

-B

Update...I called another LDS; he told me to bring it over for the vis. I called the first guy and told him I was coming over to pick it up; I didn't want the hydro. He gave me the following rational as to why he insisted on the hydro:
He has a friend that didn't adhere to DOT regs and agents from the DOT arrested his buddy, who then spent five years in jail. Have you ever heard of something so preposterous!!!

Enfield Scuba in Enfield, CT

Have you retrieved your tank yet? It is just a matter of time before the shop is advised of this thread.

Good point. They may try something funny. If they peed in the tank, would it require O2 cleaning or a tank tumble? Would that make the steel tank rated for +P?

So who's gonna alert the shop to this thread so they can come yell at everyone for being wrong? :rofl3:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My story: Bought steel tank online, manufactured 2012.
One shop asked $50 for O2 cleaning with visual inspection + $25 because the tank is big (Sherwood 120). $13 to fill Nitrox 32.
Today after noon found other shop, which took tank for O2 cleaning with visual and Nitrox 32 fill for $45 total.
He also confirmed that HYDRO is NOT needed, due "01-12" stamp is good for 5 year regardless if tank was used or not.
Visual is must for every new tank. O2 cleaning is must for new tank, which will use for Nitrox.
I was so happy that gave him my 2 x (MK25 + S600) for annual service also. Probably on Monday will give wing also for service.
When people polite and not overcharge you, it is pleasure to work with such dive shops.

My story: Bought steel tank online, manufactured 2012.
One shop asked $50 for O2 cleaning with visual inspection + $25 because the tank is big (Sherwood 120). $13 to fill Nitrox 32.
Today after noon found other shop, which took tank for O2 cleaning with visual and Nitrox 32 fill for $45 total.
He also confirmed that HYDRO is NOT needed, due "01-12" stamp is good for 5 year regardless if tank was used or not.
Visual is must for every new tank. O2 cleaning is must for new tank, which will use for Nitrox.
I was so happy that gave him my 2 x (MK25 + S600) for annual service also. Probably on Monday will give wing also for service.
When people polite and not overcharge you, it is pleasure to work with such dive shops.

this shop may have lied to you also..new tank from factory usually does not need O2 cleaning..as long as cap is on it from factory . Tank you purchased online made in 2012, was it new as in never used ? Or was it a used tank? Visual yes required..

new tank from factory usually does not need O2 cleaning..as long as cap is on it from factory .
My tank, like in topic starter story, was never used.
I think you are right, and O2 cleaning is not required in case you buy a new tank in local shop.
I called to CA, where I ordered, they confirmed that if I will buy local, the tank is ready for Nitrox, but they suggests O2 cleaning as nobody knows what will happned during delivery.
So, may be I asked for O2 cleaning, when I heard different between visual inspection $15 and O2 cleaning with visual for $30 and $15 for Nitrox filling. Specially compair with first dive shop, where it was $75 for O2 cleaning + visual.

Back
Top Bottom