new system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
HI all! This is my first time in this message room. Currently I am thinking about getting a completly new set of gear after being out of diving for a while(I joined the army as a medic and was unable to dive due to working 120+ hrs a week; now i am out). Could you tell me what you think?:doctor:
SUUNTO COBRA 300 B
WITH COMPASS
MARES ABYSS
MARES DRAGON FLY AIRTRIM
MARES OCTOPUS AXIS
MARES HOOD ISOTHERM ICE 5MM
MARES ISOTHERM T MAN
MARES ISOTHERM 5MM Gloves.
(What can I say, had mares equipment when i began and want it again)

Well...as long as it's comfortable for you and fits good then go for it. There are lots of good brands to choose from besides Mares too but Mares does make good gear. I almost bought an Abyss regulator myself before deciding to go with an Apeks TX50.:D

Hello MMP

Welcome! I have no input on your question, I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday (a day late) and say I hope you also got something better than an introduction to this motley crew!

I will go now and lewt someone who knows something address your question.

I think you'll freeze! :D Spare yourself some agony and get a top quality shell dry suit. Buying a dry suit may hurt the pocket in the short term, but buying both (cuz you WILL buy one someday) hurts in long term. I like Apeks regs too, but haven't used a Mares.

So, you a Troll? :)

Mike

MMP,
Welcome from NJ!
If you plan on diving in Michigan, think warm-and maybe dry!
Good luck,
MikeD

I agree with miked and Lost Yooper, You may get cold.
I have used a Mares Abyss. I like my Apeks Tx-50 better. But thats just me, The Abyss is a good reg.
I have also used the Dragonfly Airtrim. I loved the Airtrim feature!! But thats not what I bought.

Howdy from Texas! And welcome to ScubaBoard.

Like the others, I don't have too much to say about the paricular choices except that there is a lot out there to choose from nowadays. Even though I'm a big fan of Chevy, I still took the opportunity to drive the Ford and the Dodge when I was looking for a new pickup. You might be wise to research the others just to either validate your choices beyond doubt, or find something that a better deal in terms of quality, performance, and features.

Another Welcome from Texas.

I just wanted to say Hi too, and dude, there are only 168 hours in a week. 120 hrs/week is a long week.

Good luck with your new gear what ever you get and enjoy it.

Tom

If the price is good and the gear suits your needs go for it. I don't usually offer an opinion unless it's about a piece of gear I've actually used but to each his own if it works then it's good enough! Just get it and DIVE!

Scott

just want to add that I like Mares equiptment also, not all of it mind you, don't get and MARES mask and go with Apollo BIO fins if the Twin jets are not near by.

Back
Top Bottom