New Suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Douglas

Reaction score
I heard from a distributor at the Paris Dive show at the begining of February that Suunto were about to launch a new dive computer/watch with a 1st stage regulator transmitter linking the air information to the wrist computer.

Has anyone heard of this? If so, when will it be launched?

I was considering an UWATEC Aladin Air Z unless this new Suunto arrives before the end of spring. Any comments?

Doug

As much as I like my Suunto Mosquito I'm affraid I'd have to say to stick with your orininal thought and get the Aladin. They've been tested by divers for years and are as reliable as you can get right now. I wouldn't trust a first-run hoseless computer, but that's just me. Aladin is a great product, you'll be happy with it. Manufacturers have tried to make a quality hoseless computer, but have failed and hence pulled them off the shelves... The Aladin I believe is the only one that's made it so far. (I might be wrong on this.)

Just my opinion...

Doug

Yes, Suunto is bringing a new computer to the dive market. It's called the Vytec. Think of it as a hoseless, gas-integrated version of the Vyper with serveral other capabilities.

The Vytec is a full nitrox capable computer where the user can change Oxygen concentrations from 21% - 99%. One unique feature that the Vytec has is that a diver can pre-progam up to three different nitrox mixtures for use on a single dive. When a diver switches over to a new mixture during the dive, he swithes over to that mixture on the computer.

Besides from the nitrox feature, the Vytec will give the diver remaining gas time based on rate of gas consumption and remaining bottom time based on the rate of gas consumption.

I heard that the MSRP for the Vytec + the transmitter is in the area of $1200.00 U.S.. However, if this is too rich for your blood, a diver can purchase that computer alone and upgade to full hoseless gas-integration later by purchasing the transmitter.

I hope this is a little enlightening

ED

:iwagima:

if I had the cash I would love one of those. I love my vyper, but that would be awsome.

Originally posted by Ed Jewell
The Vytec is a full nitrox capable computer where the user can change Oxygen concentrations from 21% - 99%. One unique feature that the Vytec has is that a diver can pre-progam up to three different nitrox mixtures for use on a single dive. When a diver switches over to a new mixture during the dive, he swithes over to that mixture on the computer.
While this new computer does sound intriguing...something about this description didn't compute in my very tired brain (been a long day at work).

With the hoseless feature, I can see how it gives you tank info on your main tank. But what about "When a diver switches over to a new mixture" ?? Do you need to have a transmitter on your stage bottle as well for it to do the computations inclusive of breathing gas consumption?

I'm intrigued by the idea of Suunto coming out with something to give the Dive-Rite Nitek3 a run for it's money. And like the others, I'm waiting with interest for additional details.

You probably will not find anything about this computer on the web. I got my information from a CD-ROM containing information on all the new 2002 gear from Suunto and Aqualung

Ed :)

If integrated dive computer is what you want, then I would suggest you to get the Aladin Air Z.

But if it's just the dive computer you need, then any of the Suunto computers are great. My suggestion is to try have your air gauge and computer seperated.

I personaly own Suunto's Stinger, Spyder, 2 Solution Alpha, Solution (first Generation) and the legendary SME-ML (not working anymore). They are all great. (No I am not a milionaire, just happens to spend everything I earned to Scuba equipment, trust me, it's really a big problem).

I wouldn't advise you to get the new Vytec yet as I've always have this rule of thumbs for dive equipment (most brands) purchase. Never buy the first batch of production, it usually ends up having some flaws in it. If you can wait for the next batch, then it'll be a better bet.

Back
Top Bottom