New Suunto Eon Steel Firmware Released

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting news on the Buhlmann update. Any estimate on how long I would be without my Eon Steel (USA)? I recently purchased mine at 50% off on the Suunto web site and it is now listed as unavailable, whether that means discontinued or production has been paused I don't know.

I haven’t even dived (dove?) with it yet as I am still waiting for a drysuit I ordered. I don’t need the update but if turnaround is reasonable, why not?

I agree with you that the software on the Eon steel is very stable, but I just think that you can expect more in this price segment
For me, the huge selling point of the Eon is the graphical display and the ease with which you have multiple screens customised to your requirements. I prefer the way I can "glance" at the graphic rather than need to read the actual numerical value (much like the fuel gauge on a car) which is sufficient for 90% of the dive time

I have all 4 screens configured in the way I use them through the dive, with the secondary values also as I need/want them at that particular point. It's a frustration on mine on the Shearwater that there is limited customisation of displayed values, and rather than havign different screens/pages, you need to tap tap tap through the values that do change on the bottom segment which then time out

A few of my friends have dived the OSTC 2 for may years and like it with no major issues other than occasional wear and tear. I was able to borrow an OSTC Sport for 100 dives, and liked it (more than my Perdix) but it doesn't have AI. Not that I needed AI on that machine but the fact I couldn't have it in the future if I chose to always played on my mind

I love the fact the battery can be either replacable of chargeable

I was very tempted by the OSTC 4 but couldn't see one in person. I'm not the sort of person to put down 1100 Euros without being able to touch see and feel first.

2 Years back, I was intending to fly across to boot Düsseldorf with my credit card just to visit the Heinrichs Weikamp and the Bonex stands with the intention of buying products there and then (obvs not trying to carry 2 scooters home on a plane) but work got in the way. I don't "need" another computer but I did like the idea of the OSTC 4 to replace my Perdix which has always been a disappointment

For me, the huge selling point of the Eon is the graphical display and the ease with which you have multiple screens customised to your requirements. I prefer the way I can "glance" at the graphic rather than need to read the actual numerical value (much like the fuel gauge on a car) which is sufficient for 90% of the dive time

I have all 4 screens configured in the way I use them through the dive, with the secondary values also as I need/want them at that particular point. It's a frustration on mine on the Shearwater that there is limited customisation of displayed values, and rather than havign different screens/pages, you need to tap tap tap through the values that do change on the bottom segment which then time out
I agree that the hardware is well-made and the display is easy to read, but I think you can expect that when you buy a device in this price segment. Nevertheless, on their homepage they advertise that new features will be added due to the update capability. If you look at the updates since the release, then this promise, in my opinion, has not really been fulfilled. I don't think anyone should be sold a "social media / app" functionality as a great new feature. Suuntos main business is not the dive computer anymore. Take a look at their homepage and you will see that they mainly promote fitness trackers. The development of dive computers is running at a slow pace, which is also evident from the fact that such an update takes 3 years.

A few of my friends have dived the OSTC 2 for may years and like it with no major issues other than occasional wear and tear. I was able to borrow an OSTC Sport for 100 dives, and liked it (more than my Perdix) but it doesn't have AI. Not that I needed AI on that machine but the fact I couldn't have it in the future if I chose to always played on my mind

I love the fact the battery can be either replacable of chargeable

I was very tempted by the OSTC 4 but couldn't see one in person. I'm not the sort of person to put down 1100 Euros without being able to touch see and feel first.

2 Years back, I was intending to fly across to boot Düsseldorf with my credit card just to visit the Heinrichs Weikamp and the Bonex stands with the intention of buying products there and then (obvs not trying to carry 2 scooters home on a plane) but work got in the way. I don't "need" another computer but I did like the idea of the OSTC 4 to replace my Perdix which has always been a disappointment

It may well be that these problems are no longer current. I find the AI integration in the Perdix very well implemented and for me a selling point. Compared to the suunto, you can change the battery very easily yourself.
I remember the incident at the Boot show when one of the computers exploded. I think but for this you can not blame the dive computer because it seems to have been a user error. Maybe I'll borrow an OSTC, with us in Germany you can test the dive computers for free for a few days.

Just asking to gain certainty:

1.) Is it known at this point that the upgrade does nothing to allow simultaneous monitoring of two gas sources?

2.) Did anyone complete the Bühlman upgrade already? What is involved? All OK?

Regarding Buhlmann.

Having chatted to my dealer. It’s not a dealer repair centre upgrade. It has to go back to “factory” USA, Finland or Hong Kong. What that means I don’t know. By that I don’t know what hardware upgrades are involved - I can’t believe now that it’s just a firmware/software. Actual details are scarce, and I’ve got no answers as to why it’s not a repair centre upgrade

AFAIK the firmware apart from this is just as the core last year with the main thing being is RGBM2 as per the D5 which is essentially the same software

Just asking to gain certainty:

1.) Is it known at this point that the upgrade does nothing to allow simultaneous monitoring of two gas sources?

2.) Did anyone complete the Bühlman upgrade already? What is involved? All OK?

I sent my Eon Steel to Suunto for the Bühlmann Upgrade Tuesday, January 19th and current status shows as “Received”. I had already updated to RGBM 2.

I haven’t even used my Eon Steel yet, still waiting for a new Drysuit I ordered, so being without the computer for a week or 2 isn’t an inconvenience. I don’t need the upgrade and would be fine with only RGBM 2 but thought, why not?

Mine is obviously less than 2 years old so no charge. The online form is quick and easy, just attach a copy of your receipt and serial number. Without a receipt I think they can estimate age from the serial number.

After filling out the form I was emailed a pre-paid UPS Shipping label. It took 2 days to get from Seattle to Ogden, Utah. I’ll update when I get my Steel back.

I haven’t read anything about simultaneous monitoring of 2 tanks.

Without a receipt I think they can estimate age from the serial number

The serial number is in three formats:

• 6 & 8 digits: the first number is the last digit of the year of manufacture, except for serial numbers beginning with ’99’ (see below).
  • 10 digits: the first two numbers are the last two digits of the year of manufacture (e.g., 1234567890 – manufacture year is 2012).
  • Serial number that starts with ’99xxxxxx’: third number is the last digit of the year of manufacture (e.g., 99046502 – manufacture year is 2010).

Back
Top Bottom