New Steel Tank - Rust or Lubricant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After the second fill of my new steel Faber tank, I noticed a brownish film around the tank stem (where the valve is screwed in, refer to pic).

I asked the dive shop as soon as I noticed it (which was right after they filled my tank) what it was and they indicated that it was just oil or lubricant used to help screw in the valve. I was able to easily wipe it off (I left some on in order to take a picture to help ensure that it wasn't something wrong with the tank)

I filled it several times since and have not seen it appear again.

Since the tank is steel I am concerned about rust. It passed a visual about 1 month before.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you

Attachments

• Tank-Stem-R01.JPG
    Tank-Stem-R01.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 167
It seems unusual that a lube would be that color. There is always a possibility that flash rust has formed inside the tank, but it should not be able to migrate past the threads and o-ring. If you have any real concern have your shop do another visual on it.

I believe it is a type of brownish dust left over from the manufacturing process. I recently purchased a couple of new Worthington HP100s. Since I'm used to the spotless look of new AL tanks, I was surprised to see them with a small amount of brown dust on the tank threads and at the top of the tank. I was told by the LDS, which I trust (ScubaToys), that it is normal and it is dust, not rust. Turns out Joe from ScubaToys had the same question and followed-up with the manufacturer when he first saw it himself.

Now with that said, mine never "blew out" when filled like it appears yours has. Not sure what would cause that. Maybe the tank valve o-ring initially seating or something.

I'm no tank expert. Just sharing what I experienced and what I learned. Hopefully folks much more knowledgeable than I will chime in.

You know, I don't know what that is but if it was my tank, I'd want to find out. A visual is easy (and cheap) and so is a call to Faber. I'd figure it out now when its just starting before it has a chance to do real harm (if it could that is).

Does it just wipe away, or does it appear to be set into the finish of the tank? The dust I referred to in my previous post just wipped away, and as I said, I never had any "blow out". It was just a little bit of light dust on the tank threads. Is it like a powder or more like a liquid?

The easiest thing may be to get a visual inspection. They cost what $10-$15 maybe and include an airfill. May be worth the effort.

That looks lke some sort of grease to me. You never know what a dive shop might do to your equipment, for all we know they used red axle grease to install the valve. Better get that out of there and see what it is. This is exactly why I am going to print up my own VIP decals, do my own visual and that way I know there is no nut squirting grease in my tanks.

Steel tanks rust, it is much more prevalent than severe corrosion in aluminum, this is why we went to aluminum tanks---RUST. N

Thanks for the feedback.

It appears the recommendation is to get it check out. I think this is excellent advise. I will post what i find out. I will probably wait till next week to bring it to a shop.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Something I forgot to mention in my original post - I first noticed this on my second fill which was immediately after my first dive with the tank. So if there was any excess gease on the threads, then, my first dive may have washed it out.

- Are the dive shops suppose to gease the valve before installing it on the tank???

Divin'Hoosier:
Does it just wipe away, or does it appear to be set into the finish of the tank? The dust I referred to in my previous post just wipped away, and as I said, I never had any "blow out". It was just a little bit of light dust on the tank threads. Is it like a powder or more like a liquid?

The easiest thing may be to get a visual inspection. They cost what $10-$15 maybe and include an airfill. May be worth the effort.

It just wiped clean - it was all around (360 degrees) the valve-tank interface. I started to just wipe it clean but left a little area to take a pic to ask what it was. It did not come back in the area which I wiped clean and it is only on the surface of the paint.

At this point it is more of a residue.

UB:
It just wiped clean - it was all around (360 degrees) the valve-tank interface. I started to just wipe it clean but left a little area to take a pic to ask what it was. It did not come back in the area which I wiped clean and it is only on the surface of the paint.

Be sure and post an update on what you find out.

Nemrod:
That looks lke some sort of grease to me. You never know what a dive shop might do to your equipment, for all we know they used red axle grease to install the valve. Better get that out of there and see what it is. This is exactly why I am going to print up my own VIP decals, do my own visual and that way I know there is no nut squirting grease in my tanks.

Steel tanks rust, it is much more prevalent than severe corrosion in aluminum, this is why we went to aluminum tanks---RUST. N

We started using hydralic fluid. If we happen to forget to pour it into the tank before we put the valve back in we can just pour it around the valve and let it soak in around the valve.:shakehead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom