New Sony Prosumer HDV Camcorders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversteve

always tired
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Sony has three new HDV models on their website. Shipping on or around July 13th.

Two are HDD (hard drive) models, the third is a new designation - HDR-CX7 that records directly to their proprietary Memory Stick Pro Duo media.

The new models are HDR-SR7, a 3.2MP(2.28MP actual) 60GB HDD camcorder. Recording in AVCHD format

HDR-SR5 a 2.1MP(1.4MP actual) 40GB HDD camcorder also recording in AVCHD. Fortunately both of these have LANC ports and microphone jacks.

And the aforementioned HDR-CX7, a 3.2MP(2.28MP actual) 4GB Memory Stick Pro Duo camcorder. In XP(highest) mode, it can only record 30 minutes of HDV footage. This one also lacks a LANC jack and Mic jack. I'm not sure who the target audience is for this one....

The most surprising thing is that there's NO VIEWFINDER on the HDR-SR5 and HDR-CX7 models. So that's going to require some re-tooling for some of the housing mfr's. What were they thinking?

I don't think Sony has been doing enough thinking recently, although they have made a few improvements (like putting the tape carrier on top instead of the bottom where, if mounted on a tripod, tapes cannot be replaced easily).

Admittedly they're not targeting u/w housing users but how many times have you not been able to see the LCD screen on your camcorder in bright sunlight...

drbill:
I don't think Sony has been doing enough thinking recently, although they have made a few improvemehts (like putting the tape carrier on top instead of the bottom where, if mounted on a tripod, tapes cannot be replaced easily).

I think you are right, BUT Sony really has to think who their primary market is.

Sadly divers make up such a small portion of their market that we have probably less than no say in the matter.

However, I think the Z1U/FX1 (except for their size -- if the microhpone jobby on top was detachable ...) are pretty darned good for U/W work.

In clear water, the HC* series I think also seems to work well.

The problem is that of getting a smallish HD camera that does well in our murky waters -- that seems to be the big issue with so far no great contenders.

The TRV900 was really the king for SD cameras (or even the 2100 ?), but even that was still bulky.

Sadly, the smaller cameras SOny just doesn't see the benefits of putting a lot of manual controls on, and as soon as you hit green water with particles, these cameras seem to perform les well.

I have been *really* happy with the FX1 with the only exception being weight/size.

The FX7 is smaller, but I think we dont yet know enough about it underwater to say much.

The A1U? is not so large, and I think works well but it is pretty well obsolete by now.

I think solid state is going to be the future, and hopefully HDV will one day (soon) be a thing of the past!

sjspeck:
Sony has three new HDV models on their website. Shipping on or around July 13th.

Two are HDD (hard drive) models, the third is a new designation - HDR-CX7 that records directly to their proprietary Memory Stick Pro Duo media.

The new models are HDR-SR7, a 3.2MP(2.28MP actual) 60GB HDD camcorder. Recording in AVCHD format

HDR-SR5 a 2.1MP(1.4MP actual) 40GB HDD camcorder also recording in AVCHD. Fortunately both of these have LANC ports and microphone jacks.

And the aforementioned HDR-CX7, a 3.2MP(2.28MP actual) 4GB Memory Stick Pro Duo camcorder. In XP(highest) mode, it can only record 30 minutes of HDV footage. This one also lacks a LANC jack and Mic jack. I'm not sure who the target audience is for this one....

The most surprising thing is that there's NO VIEWFINDER on the HDR-SR5 and HDR-CX7 models. So that's going to require some re-tooling for some of the housing mfr's. What were they thinking?

Thought that you had something good on the CX-7 but then that got blown to pieces. Don't know that I would rank it in the prosumer category since it has no LANC jack. Guess I will stick with my HC-1000 for a bit longer.

limeyx:
However, I think the Z1U/FX1 (except for their size -- if the microhpone jobby on top was detachable ...) are pretty darned good for U/W work.
I think solid state is going to be the future, and hopefully HDV will one day (soon) be a thing of the past!

Tapeless acquisition is where the world has been moving towards for the last 4 years. The P2 revolution is what really set it in stone. You can already get 16GB P2 cards for less than $1K. The 32GB ones will be released shortly.

None of the cameras mentioned in the original post are prosumer cameras. I personally consider the Z1U to be in the middle of prosumer and consumer considering the poor job it does in low light and wasteful options such as onboard color correction. You might as well throw in droplet and mosaic effects. The DVX blows it out of the water, and I'm not saying that because I currently have 3 in my arsenal.

Sorry sjspeck for throwing the topic off slightly. Great thread to start!

Billy

If Sony is doing away with the LANC connector, they'll lose a lot of us UW users... at least those of us with lower budgets!

I'm either going to get my new HC-7 to function well within our less-than-clear waters or... I'll be moving to the tropics (for the year-round bikinis as well as the clear, warm water!).

I doubt Sony or any of the camcorder manufacturers care about uw video. We are probably a drop in the bucket compared to topside use.

The lanc control is starting to look less valuable for uw as Sony took away manual white balance access.

I hope tape doesn't go away anytime soon. I'm still waiting to get my FX7 underwater. Hopefully the housing mfrs. meet their June ship dates.

Empty V:
Tapeless acquisition is where the world has been moving towards for the last 4 years. The P2 revolution is what really set it in stone. You can already get 16GB P2 cards for less than $1K. The 32GB ones will be released shortly.

None of the cameras mentioned in the original post are prosumer cameras. I personally consider the Z1U to be in the middle of prosumer and consumer considering the poor job it does in low light and wasteful options such as onboard color correction. You might as well throw in droplet and mosaic effects. The DVX blows it out of the water, and I'm not saying that because I currently have 3 in my arsenal.

Sorry sjspeck for throwing the topic off slightly. Great thread to start!

Billy

Agreed, the models mentioned are definitely more on the consumer side.

I got the FX1 because of the awesome housing L&M has for it, and I think I have been getting good results.

I agree the the DVX/HVX are probably really nice, but the P2 cards need to get up to more storage for better $ I think for U/W stuff where I cannot change cartridges mid-dive ...

sjspeck:

There is always a solution my friend! Through the good graces of another Scubaboard member I now have a 5" LCD just begging for a housing. Including the screen and the battery system that I'm building, my total cost will be about $120. Compare that to the $250 Equinox charges for the 2.5" screen.

Billy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom