"New" shallow reef technique: snorkuba...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs

Reaction score
On this weekend's dive I came back after more than an hour with 2,450 lbs... I only used about 1,000 lbs and Marc even used the dregs for a 2nd dive without a problem. Jenny would have been jealous.

With the visibility so good right now on our shallow reefs, I've been spending some time on the surface using my snorkel. Not bouncing, mind you, but remaining aloft until I see something I want to visit up close. The result is "free air."

Remember, the dive-depth is often only about 13 feet on the honeycomb at Hibiscus, and visibility right now has to be 60-80 feet. From 17' I can see a lot of real estate and many holes at once rather than the up-front-and-myoptic view from the bottom.

BUT there's something else I've started to notice - lots of activity on the surface. Schools of bait fish (including the regal looking needlefish), diving birds (the pelicans will splash down right next to you, unafraid), and turtles surfacing for air. These are new sights for a former reef-hugger like me.

Of course, you'll miss many of the details from up there, so I've started by spending only about 40% on the snorkel.

So as long as you are shallow, avoid bouncing, and continue to watch your ascent rate (and listen for boats lol) this may work for you too.

Mike,
Where abouts is that.... We have a split family, my son and I would scuba and the others would snorkel. I'm trying to create a list of places that would make us all happy.
Thanks.

mavjax:
Mike,
Where abouts is that.... We have a split family, my son and I would scuba and the others would snorkel. I'm trying to create a list of places that would make us all happy.
Thanks.
Grier knows the site well. Have a flag for each party... we do get boats even thought the pier is right there north of where you'd be diving/snorkling. Just north of Datura, south of the pier, is a nice honeycomb area that is great for diving or snorkling... it's not all that far out, either.

We see a lot of life right there, too - nurse sharks, barracuda, various eels, and of course lots of reef fish. There's a large ray that comes in and out of there as well.

It's best for snorklers on clear days, of course, which is usually just about any day during summer.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom