New servers and a new IT team...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Give me raid 10 over 5 anyday, as long as you can afford the overhead.

But that still leaves the issue of the database. To my knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong), mySql is not scalable. It is nice, however, if you're not running win boxes, but if you are, sql2003 run in a cluster is a far better route at this level.

What about MySQL Cluster in release 5.0? Personnaly I say go with Oracle but it is a bit expensive...:)

Mike

mikerault:
What about MySQL Cluster in release 5.0? Personnaly I say go with Oracle but it is a bit expensive...:)

Mike

I didn't realize you could cluster mysql.

The only reason to go with oracle is to keep those overpriced oracle dbas in service :D

ReefGuy:
I didn't realize you could cluster mysql.
The only reason to go with oracle is to keep those overpriced oracle dbas in service :D

I wrote a small C application that ran on an 800 Mhz PC, and eliminated two 8-Processor Oracle servers and 2 DBAs

As near as I can tell, I saved them close to $500,000/year in salary, hardware and licences.

As a thank-you, I got a "Star Award" (paper) and a gift certificate to the mall, then two months later, they laid me off. :cool:

Terry

I'm sure that vBulletin limits the options they have. It is proprietary software and likely IP sensitive.

Web Monkey:
I wrote a small C application that ran on an 800 Mhz PC, and eliminated two 8-Processor Oracle servers and 2 DBAs

As near as I can tell, I saved them close to $500,000/year in salary, hardware and licences.

As a thank-you, I got a "Star Award" (paper) and a gift certificate to the mall, then two months later, they laid me off. :cool:

Terry

They were scared you were smarter than them . . . Competition for jobs :wink:

Web Monkey:

Terry

I bet if you helped out NetDoc he would at least give you a SB coffee cup:coffee:

and then again maybe not:D

Cheers

Web Monkey:

Terry
Forgive me if I fail to believe...unless the Oracle app was totally screwed up from the start and way over spec'ed there is no way a single processor small C app is going to replace 16 processors unless they were terribly old and slow. There is obviously something left out of the story...

Mike

ReefGuy:
But that still leaves the issue of the database. To my knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong), mySql is not scalable. It is nice, however, if you're not running win boxes, but if you are, sql2003 run in a cluster is a far better route at this level.
Clustered doesn't necessarily mean scalable.

mySQL is a technically inferior platform that just happens to come with a really sweet price tag. :) There are other options now for more robust dataengines that aren't prohibitively expensive. MSSQLServer and even Oracle now have an entry-level offering for just such environments as this. (Driven to it, no doubt by the free nature of mySQL, etc.) What you get for your money that mySQL lacks is the *-abilities (recoverability, scalability, dependability, etc.)

I understand WHY websites are deployed on mySQL, and I'm fine with it as long as I'm not the one who has to recover corrupted tables, etc. :wink: (Been there, done that, not doing it again. :D)

Peace,

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom