New seals on DUI Zip Seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

claymore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was putting some dry glove rings on my DUI wrist ZIP Seals the other day and wondered if it is possible to remove a torn latex seal from the ring and glue in a new one?
At a hundred plus bucks for a replacement pair if it is not terribly difficult it would be worth a shot.

I do not remember seeing a question like this before and could not quite figure out a search phrase to get results.

Latex works fine, put a rubber ball or some such thing inside the ring to keep its form. Tom's post could be taken as saying silicon seals are not available in zip seals and this is not the case, but, they are substantially more expensive and, quite frankly, don't hold up as well.

was saying that you can't glue them to each other like the OP was asking.... obviously they are available and that is a big reason to get them if you don't want to deal with rings but need silicone, but you aren't going to get them to stick to themselves

My main question is how or do you have to remove the old latex seal from the ring and glueing in the new seal.

I am aware that it has to be a latex for latex swap, if you want silicone you have to pony up the bucks and if the Silicone rips the whole ring is toast.

Got over year and half on " frankenstein" neck seal .....no problems so far..

I'd just cut the seal off right above the ring, buy some new seals and seam tape from DRiS for like $40, scuff up the edges, and use that to put them on the zip part of the seal. Should be about the same process as installing regular seals on a suit

My main question is how or do you have to remove the old latex seal from the ring and glueing in the new seal.

I am aware that it has to be a latex for latex swap, if you want silicone you have to pony up the bucks and if the Silicone rips the whole ring is toast.

Just cut it off flush, and then stick something into the ring to retain the form. Using a scouring pad from your sink to rough up the surface a bit, then give a lite wipe around with Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK). Just a wipe, not a saturation! Use your glue of choice (most like Aquaseal. I prefer Bostik 2401 , or 5200 for tricky stuff) and thin it out just a little to make in manageable. This will reduce the chance of bubble and such. Now just seat the seal and leave it be. No reason for seam tape- there aren't any seams. This seam to work once, not so much for a third set. I have tried pulling off old seals (you use a heat gun, normally) but to get it hot enough to
break down the adhesion you blow the rings.

http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/drysuit_repair_outline.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom