New ScubaPro R295 Octo Freeflow Issue - Need Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaPolishPete

Registered
Reaction score
Purchased a new ScubaPro R295 octopus from eBay. The octopus itself and hose are new.

When connected to the tank, on dry land, no leaks, and if I depress the purge button gently, all is good.

However, if I press the purge button firmly, it "sticks" and freeflows. That is, the button doesn't actually stick, it simply "feels" like the octo stuck in freeflow. A quick slap to the octo, and it releases, no freeflow.

Any ideas what it might be, and if this is a simple adjustment I can correct myself?

Any help is much appreciated!!

*have not had a chance to test this underwater yet.

Sounds like it is tuned for primary use rather than as an octo. It is a rather simple adjustment if you are up to it. But I suggest you try it as is and see if it is a problem. It may behave well if you manage it. If not, I'm sure I can talk you through the adjustment.

A quick slap to the octo, and it releases, no freeflow.

Any ideas what it might be, and if this is a simple adjustment I can correct myself?
Can't help you on the adjustment. But:
Please do not physically abuse your live supporting device, just stuck couple of your fingers into the mouth piece which should stop the free flow.

Can't help you on the adjustment. But:
Please do not physically abuse your live supporting device, just stuck couple of your fingers into the mouth piece which should stop the free flow.

Yes.... by all means, if you feel the urge to physically abuse your life supporting device, stick two fingers in your mouth immediately!

If that does not work, remove said fingers, and one of the "usual suspects" should be able to help you.... no "life support abuse" :Dneeded.

What awap was getting at in his post is that many modern 2nd stages with a strong venturi effect will freeflow in a spectacular manner on the surface if you hit the purge button sharply, and this is normal.

FYI, awap is one of the "usual suspects" that can help you with adjusting your regulator if you are so inclined.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
Yes, try dive it in a pool or something. If you can't, try it in your bath tub; it should be alright.

As Master awap said, detune it is very simple: remove the hose reg side, look inside the hole and you see a white plastic plug with a slot, called orifice. Use a properly sized screwdriver, hold down the purge and at the same time give the orifice 1/12th of a turn, or 30°, clockwise, and you're done.

The only problem is how to remove the hose without scratching the splined knob reg side. I use a special tool, but the true gurus here favor a rag and some pliers.

Rough bunch here, slapping and ramming fingers down a poor regs throat.

A more humane, gentle and less violent way to persuade the reg to stop the freeflow is to gently cup the mouthpiece in your hand, restricting the flow of air and creating backpressure to stop encourage the reg to stop it's unruly actions.....or just grab the little bastard by the mouthpiece and choke the crap out of it. :)

I agree with the rest,sound like a reg tuned maybe a little too good for an octo but otherwise working correctly.

well at least when your out-of-air buddy grabs your octo, shoves it in his mouth and hits the purge hard in a panic before breathing in, he will get plenty of air!

Thanks for the replies and input folks. I'll give her a try today in the water, and see about adjusting afterward if need be. Thanks again!

As for the slap, well, that was what was taught to me, so the only way I knew how to make it stop! I know better now. :wink:

Thanks for the replies and input folks. I'll give her a try today in the water, and see about adjusting afterward if need be. Thanks again!

As for the slap, well, that was what was taught to me, so the only way I knew how to make it stop! I know better now. :wink:

Unfortunately, there are a lot of instructors who may be excellent instructors have no clue how a reg works. Seriously, slapping one while not likely to do any real harm but it is not the proper way to stop a venturi induced freeflow. The proper way(s) are to either put it mouthpiece down in the water and if that does not work or you are out of the water closing off the mouthpiece with your hand. Either method creates backpressure in the second stage body which will interrupt the venturi action and stop the freeflow.

I would also recommend investing in an IP gauge and checking the intermediate pressure of your first stage. The gauge is only $8 + shipping from Dive Gear Express and other stores do carry it. It is very handy to have. The gauge connects to your BC hose and you attach your first stage to a tank and turn on the air then you read the the IP. Your IP may be high or the person you purchased the octo from may have had it tuned for a lower IP which could be causing the free flow.

One of the things I dislike about the 295 is that is does not have a dive/predive switch like the 190 or the 395. That switch controls the venturi effect in regulators. On the 295 the venturi effect is set by the technician. When you take it in for service I would inquire as to the cost of adding the switch, it should not cost too much and your 295 will be a 395.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom