New SCUBA depth record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To set a record seems to be a poor example of "why". We teach students to have a reason to dive deep and then this.....

Otter are you serious, you teach students they need a reason to go deep? Maybe 313 meters ain't deep for this "student" or maybe the reason was "I ****ing can, if I want to" The guy did it he's back and your reading and talking about it, now accept and get over it....

Most divers will not read the report and think, "Hey, I can go set a new world record." Most will read it and say something like (appologies to Bugs Bunny), "What a maroon!"

Very few people even think of trying to set a record.
Most of those who think of it, give up when they find out the documentation required in addition to the stunt itself.

The few that remain work, test, study, test, refine technique and equipment, test ...... repeat as needed until they have an acceptable (to them) risk to reward ratio, THEN the make the attempt.

People die doing ordinary jobs evveryday. What is so wrong with a very few people risking death doing something completely out of the ordinary?

WaterWorld:
Otter are you serious, you teach students they need a reason to go deep? Maybe 313 meters ain't deep for this "student" or maybe the reason was "I ****ing can, if I want to" The guy did it he's back and your reading and talking about it, now accept and get over it....

Great first post - I can see you have joined the board to make new friends....NOT !

Dive Source:
Great first post - I can see you have joined the board to make new friends....NOT !

Did you check your post on this issue? I think you all but called the guy an Idiot. He was smart enough to plan his gas down and back. Might have got bent the first time but I guess he learned from his mistake. As for Otter's comment about how this is going to teach new divers bad habits is horse hockey! I think it is cool that the guy is getting what he wants out of his style of diving.

If I get what I want out of my style of diving if only no deeper then 50 feet then so be it. Just wondering why your all so eager to attack the man success. Could you be jealous?

WW

WaterWorld:
Did you check your post on this issue? I think you all but called the guy an Idiot......
WW

Yes waterboy, based on what was reported, I did call him an idiot.

If his only reason to do this dive was to use his body to test decompression algorithms while diving past 1000 ft in openwater, then he is also a fool.

( PS - thanks for the compliment toolbox-13 )

Just wondering why your all so eager to attack the man success. Could you be jealous?

Yea... that's it... how silly of me not to recognize it.

The Navy experimental dive unit did saturation dives to 1800 feet in the late 70's. They used a Scubapro Pilot second stage for the in water stuff but with a surface supply set up.

HPNS is a serious issue at those depths but my understanding is that the narcotic effect of a small amount of nitorgen in the mix helps.

GDI:
:doctor: The previous record was about 1010 ft so this record puts they guy at about 1028 ft. If done in the interest of safety I would like to see the results and the findings. It is quite a feat I do admit but at what cost? I also wonder about his tolerence to HPNS and how that may of affected him.

HPNS - heck what about toxing due to high PPO2...? I was just thinking about this for a few minutes, at what point does the minimum amount of O2 needed to sustain life intercect w/ high PP02 to black out. If he's using 5% he's hitting around 1.6. Is that going to be enough?

It's the dude's own biz if he wants to break records, it's your right to think he's stupid.

Not everyone understands doing things just to see if you can. Not everyone is built that way. Nor do you have to be.
Live (or die) and let live.

Peace
Happy Holidays

Dive Source:
Yes waterboy, based on what was reported, I did call him an idiot.

If his only reason to do this dive was to use his body to test decompression algorithms while diving past 1000 ft in openwater, then he is also a fool.

( PS - thanks for the compliment toolbox-13 )

Yea... that's it... how silly of me not to recognize it.

Granted its already been done more or less. So maybe his stated reason is not all true. I don't need to do alot of the things I do to test out the math but it is nice to prove by doing that the math is correct. Otherwise it is nothing more then just pen and paper, number crunching, lets face it that is only so much fun and only so real after a while. Besides I bet he feels like a million bucks, that alone might have been worth the dive.
WW

Back
Top Bottom