New S-Drill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This change with the s-drill was from the procedural changes in November, 2006:
http://gue.com/files/nov2006changes.pdf

Eeek! I really am out of date. Both my Cave 1 and Cave 2 post-date this change and it wasn't part of those many many S-drills.

I can really go either way on this holding the hose jazz. It would only be an issue if I'm expected to hold it - problems might arise lol. Kinda like checking the spg during the S-drill. I don't do that anymore, although there is a definate need to make good gas based decisions in OW diving.

It wasn't clear to me whether the new procedure is just for Fundies level divers, or whether we're all supposed to do it this way now. I certainly wasn't asked to do this in Cave 1 last May. I'm quite capable of restowing my own hose, and although I am a strong proponent of the team aspect of DIR diving, I really don't see how, at this point in my diving career, making my teammate help me stow my hose adds anything.

It wasn't clear to me whether the new procedure is just for Fundies level divers, or whether we're all supposed to do it this way now. I certainly wasn't asked to do this in Cave 1 last May. I'm quite capable of restowing my own hose, and although I am a strong proponent of the team aspect of DIR diving, I really don't see how, at this point in my diving career, making my teammate help me stow my hose adds anything.

I agree. I like the idea of a strong team being tuned in and ready to help their other teammates. However I'm a little unsure how a teammate can really be of much help in stowing the long hose. When this procedural change was first release we gave it a try exactly once before deciding it was much easier to stow your own hose.

I have now taken GUE/UTD courses from 5 different instructors. I have found that all of the major skills/procedures are the same but the details vary greatly. On more than one occasion I have had these instructors completely contradict one another.

Hey all,

Since we're on the subject of the new teamwork-oriented focus of exercises, could you also detail for me the new changes to the p-drill?

:)

I have now taken GUE/UTD courses from 5 different instructors. I have found that all of the major skills/procedures are the same but the details vary greatly. On more than one occasion I have had these instructors completely contradict one another.

Damn you're ahead of me. I've only had 4. And they have contardicted each other, although the courses were spread over 6 years and I'm not sure if times have changed or they just all have their quirks.

I, of course, am a composite, with a long hose. :lotsalove:

Damn you're ahead of me. I've only had 4. And they have contardicted each other, although the courses were spread over 6 years and I'm not sure if times have changed or they just all have their quirks.

I, of course, am a composite, with a long hose. :lotsalove:

Only because I had to do Tech I twice.

So with the old way, you had the primary reg in your hand as you were untangling the light cord, and the new way, your buddy is holding the reg?

So with the old way, you had the primary reg in your hand as you were untangling the light cord, and the new way, your buddy is holding the reg?

The changes are trickling down due to the light cord management that was revised.

Old way donation
Recipient holds long hose while hose is deployed (lightcord already under)
Old way finish
Donor takes long hose back and stows (lightcord stays under)

New way donation
Recipient holds long hose while hose is deployed and lightcord moved under
New way finish
Recipient holds reg while long hose is stowed and lightcord moved (back) over

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom