New rig! w00t! w00t!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got to try the WACP on a dive at a Reef Photo workhop. For my camera (OM10) and lenses, it wasn't noticeably better than my WWL-1, except I was terrified the entire dive that I'd scratch it or lose it or something.

@laikabear on her Sponge Exploration Diver checkout dive.

68D5ABA4-3EE0-44EF-91B7-CB3037E7BC61.jpeg

I got to try the WACP on a dive at a Reef Photo workhop. For my camera (OM10) and lenses, it wasn't noticeably better than my WWL-1, except I was terrified the entire dive that I'd scratch it or lose it or something.

if there was a way to use the WWL-1 with my new camera and have zoom-thru capability, I would probably stick with it for a long time. But, currently, there is not.

What I’ve read makes me think that the main optical advantage that the WACP has over the WWL-1 is the image quality in the corners. Maybe not so much in the center. Did you notice that at all?

What I’ve read makes me think that the main optical advantage that the WACP has over the WWL-1 is the image quality in the corners. Maybe not so much in the center. Did you notice that at all?
No, but it was not a fair test. I'll go back and look at the pix with that in mind.

Just curious Stuart, concerning the WWL-1 and the FF Sony A7 series. Could you shoot the little kit lens Sony E mount 15-50 in crop sensor mode or for that matter the Tokina 10-17 behind a dome?

James

Just curious Stuart, concerning the WWL-1 and the FF Sony A7 series. Could you shoot the little kit lens Sony E mount 15-50 in crop sensor mode or for that matter the Tokina 10-17 behind a dome?

James

I do not know about using the 15-50 in crop mode. That's a fair question, since crop mode on the a7r4 is still 26 MP. But, personally I would be pretty unlikely to invest in that lens just to be limited to crop mode.

Not sure about the Tokina config, either. I have really been relying on Reef for advice. They seem really good at understanding what gear I have and what I want to do and then advising me the best way to get there.

My main photo buddy has been shooting Sony FF with a WACP for a couple of years now. I have seen the image quality it produces. That is definitely my long-term goal. It's a lot of money. But, after what I've spend on the camera and housing, it doesn't make sense to me that I would not also go ahead and spend for the best glass as well. Fortunately, that is like the other stuff. Once I have it, I shouldn't need to buy another one or anything else like it for a long time.

I understand, a mediocre E mount lens on a high end FF, lol. But I was just trying to get you zoom through with your existing WWL while you gather the resources to get the WACP. I see the 15-50mm EZ lens used often under $100. When the camera is booted the lens extends to about the same length OA as the Sony 28mm f2.0 prime.

James

James
FWIW, I shoot the WWL-1 with the Sony kit lens (16-50 mm for the a6500) and it works pretty well. It is really nice having the ability to zoom through with the WWL-1. I am considering upgrading to the a7R IV (is that what you have now @stuartv ?), but I won't have enough saved up for the Nauticam housing for awhile, so it'll just be used dry. Maybe I just need to sell my Nauticam a6500 housing first? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom