New regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

padrediver:
Any opinions on Mares regulators?

If you use the search engine, its up there somewhere :wink:

Put Abyss, Mares, Proton, Etc, Etc it will help.

There have been some recent threads :wink:

Guess what I dive :D

Mr Mares:
If you use the search engine, its up there somewhere :wink:

Put Abyss, Mares, Proton, Etc, Etc it will help.

There have been some recent threads :wink:

Guess what I dive :D

Thanks for reply. Mares weren't available in this country
when I started in 1965. They seem to get excellent reviews.
My local dive shop is trying to sell me scubapro/atomic, even though both regs are on safety recall. I tried scubapro in
1967 and stayed with my 1965 calypso as it breathed easier.
So many new companies! So many out of business!
Decisions,decisions!

I used a MR12 for 8 years (1992-2000) and still own it today. The only reason I switched to my Sherwood is because it sometimes didn't handle extreme cold that well. But it's my regulator of preference when I go down South, it breathes extremely well.

So as far as I'm concerned, Mares makes excellent products.

Kaos:
I used a MR12 for 8 years (1992-2000) and still own it today. The only reason I switched to my Sherwood is because it sometimes didn't handle extreme cold that well. But it's my regulator of preference when I go down South, it breathes extremely well.

So as far as I'm concerned, Mares makes excellent products.

Thanks for reply. If National Geographic divers use it, it can't be bad. Gets higher ratings in the cheapo class.
The aqua lung calypso is still there, but a shadow of it's
former self. They've been trying to sell me scubapro since
1966! I've tried them...I think they are overated, especially now that Johnson Wax [sic] owns them! Both scubapro and
atomic have safety recalls. Couldn't find any on mares.
I equate them with Cousteau-Aqua Lung/USD since they
were contemporaries back when I started. Also, if they're
still in business, after all the failed Healthway's/Sportsways/Voit etc, they must be good.
Thanks again.

My first regulator was a Swimaster Polaris II purchased in 1970. It worked fine. While I use a USD Conshelf SE3 today, I bought a Mares R2 Axis for my junior diver. She says it works fine.

I would buy Mares without hesitation.

What safety recalls are you talking about?

Neither Atomic or Scubapro have had anything recalled since 2001 and 1997 as far as I can tell.

I've been diving a Mares Ruby for three years, and it's never let me down: warm, cold, deep, upside-down, it performs great.

I would like to know about that recall also. I have looked on DAN and Divenewswire and can find nothing on it. also the scubapro web site has nothing on it eaither. shed a little light on this for the rest of us.

recalls aren't necessarily the end of the world. Most peopl misinterpret them as meaning that the reg had something statstrophically wrong with it. Alot of the times, it is simply an improvement on the design of the reg so don't panic.

As far as not wanting to use these regs (stomic and SP). Take a look around. These are two of the most popular regs in the country. Not to mention some of the better warm water regs.

Back
Top Bottom