"New" Regulator!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scottri

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A very good friend of mine just gave me an Aqua Lung DA "aqua master" two hose reg. It looks like it's brand new. He has a large collection of them and rebuilt it before he gave it to me. I was thinking of putting together a vintage scuba setup and this will be a nice start. I'm going to round up an old steel 72 with a J-valve and a backpack with a vintage weight belt. I doubt I'll do much open water diving with it but it sure is a cool old piece.

Does anyone have any opinins on these old regs? How do they breathe, is there anything I should know before I take in the pool to practice with it?

Thanks,

Scott

"I doubt I'll do much open water diving with it "

Why do you say that when you haven't even tried it yet? Look at the face on that kid in the attached picture. Does he look like he is having a bad time? A DA AquaMaster is about as good as it gets. Your friend gave you a really nice Christmas present. You are going to have a blast with it. It will be like diving for the first time all over again when you slip underwater with that beauty.

For easy breathing wear the regulator low, between your shoulders and swim slightly head up.

You can get a Dacor K or J valve with an HP port. That way you can use a pressure gauge with it. You can use an adapter and run an inflator hose and octopus off the hookah port.

Here are a couple of links for more info:
http://www.vintagescubasupply.com/
http://groups.msn.com/SKINANDSCUBADIVING1950s-1980s/shoebox.msnw

Scottri,

"EW1USNR" does not know what he/she is talking about ;-)

You truly will have a terrible time with that old double-hose
antique.

SEND IT TO ME !!!

G_M

Green_Manelishi once bubbled...
You truly will have a terrible time with that old double-hose
antique. SEND IT TO ME !!! G_M

Listen to Green. He's trying to do you a favor!

Sorry guys, in the interest of "safety" I'll have to hold on to it! :) Thanks for the info. I'm going to play with it in the pool for a while until I get comfortable with it then I do plan to use it in open water but not often. I think it would be fun as hell to walk up to the dive site with all the retro stuff while the DIR crowd in standing around.

Scott

Get someone who is trained on a double hose reg to go over emergency procedures with you.

It is not that hard but some things are different, like purging after a flood.

If your friend wants to clear some space I think there are plenty of us around here who would be willing to help. :D

Scottri once bubbled...
I think it would be fun as hell to walk up to the dive site with all the retro stuff while the DIR crowd in standing around.

If you ask me who was Doing It Right, my vote goes to Jacques Cousteau and the crew of the Calypso!!!!

Scottri,

By now, I feel that you may have already been in the water and played around with your DA Aquamaster. You really don't need someone to show you about it. I would recommend, if you have one nearby, that you look for an older edition of The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving by the Council for National Co-operation in Aquatics. The New, Revised Edition is dated 1968, and contains a lot of information about using double-hose regulators. You should be able to find one in a used book store, or on-line through Amazon.com.

If you've been in the water with one, you probably have already gotten a "feel" for the Aquamaster. It is a great regulator, and it will breath wonderfully for you if properly tuned. Here's a few points to remember:

--When swimming on the surface, this reg will free-flow whenever the mouthpiece is above the regulator, and not in your mouth. You may need to hold it when snorkeling, and swimming on you back is not feasible with the mouthpiece out of your mouth due to the extreme free-flow that will occur.

--Underwater, the hoses are buoyant. If there is a twist in the mouthpiece, it will twist in your mouth. The mouthpiece should be in a neutral position to be comfortable; on land, with the regulator face down on a table, the mouthpiece should point directly back at the regulator box.

--If you take the mouthpiece out of your mouth, it will free-flow when above the regulator. This is the preferred method of clearing the reg of water (single hose regs need a "button" on them, double-hose do not). If you don't want to use the free-flow, turn slightly to the right (left side down) and blow. The water will pass through the mouthpiece's non-return valve, and you can continue breathing. If water remains in the left (exhalation) hose, simple exhale when in a left roll and the water will exit the flutter valve in the box.

Those are the major differences. Doff-and-don drills are a bit different, as you need to place the mouthpiece below the regulator, and fix it there under the valve, before surfacing sans scuba. To bup it back on, you need to approach from the regulator side, put your arms through the harness, and put it on over your head. (Mostly, I guess doff-and-don drills are unknown now, but that's how it was done.)

Other than that, and learning how this reg feels upside down, the only other thing is to simply enjoy not having bubbles in your face.

Enjoy!

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom